Why we love her:
- She evolves as an artist. "I've been in the business since I was six years old. I used to do a lot of the same roles when I was younger, but now I’m given more opportunities to grow—not only as a person but also as an actress."
- She’s smart about money. "Dati super magastos ako. If you give me money, I can spend it all in one day. But when I turned 18, I started handling my own money. Masakit pala 'pag nababawasan! I learned how to save, invest in my family’s business, and be practical. Don't buy it if you can't afford it or if you don't need it."
- She's a dutiful daughter. "I'm the bunso of our family so I feel it's my responsibility to take care of my parents. All my life, they’ve been taking care of me. Now, it's my turn. I do the groceries and pay the bills at home. During the first few months, I’d always get disconnection notices because I would forget to pay! It's a big responsibility but I’ve gotten the hang of it."
Life soundtrack: "Warrior is a Child"
"The song shows my senti side. Even if I’ve been in showbiz for a long time, I don’t show my true feelings to everyone. Maybe because it’s part of my work—I can’t bring my problems on the set. That’s why people think I’m masungit, but once they get to know me, they realize, 'Ay, kalog pala si Shaina! Hindi pala siya prim and proper.'"
Keys to success:
- Never stop learning. "I learn a lot from the different directors and actors I work with. Every day is a new experience!"
- Be passionate. "You have to love what you're doing. If you don't, you won't last in this business."
- Take time to de-stress. "I love kids! I have nieces and nephews. I call them whenever I feel down or really tired. Nakakawala sila ng pagod!"
3 things she loves about showbiz:
- Doing what she loves. "I grew up in showbiz. I feel so blessed that I was able to develop my talents at such a young age, work with veteran actors and actresses, and do what I’m passionate about."
- Being an inspiration. "'I'm happy that my fans appreciate me as a person even though I make mistakes. I want to leave a mark in this business. It feels good to inspire people through my work."
- Gaining new friends. "There was a time when a lot of my showbiz friends were older than me. It was an advantage because they shared their secrets with me and I was able to learn from their mistakes."
"I've always wanted to be a pediatrician because I love kids."
Greatest love lesson learned:
"There are no fairy tales in love. You can have an ideal boyfriend, but you have to realize that no one’s perfect. You have to learn to love the person’s flaws as well."