We Love Shaina Magdayao
Why we love her:
- She evolves as an artist. "I've been in the business since I was six years old. I used to do a lot of the same roles when I was younger, but now I’m given more opportunities to grow—not only as a person but also as an actress."
- She’s smart about money. "Dati super magastos ako. If you give me money, I can spend it all in one day. But when I turned 18, I started handling my own money. Masakit pala 'pag nababawasan! I learned how to save, invest in my family’s business, and be practical. Don't buy it if you can't afford it or if you don't need it."
- She's a dutiful daughter. "I'm the bunso of our family so I feel it's my responsibility to take care of my parents. All my life, they’ve been taking care of me. Now, it's my turn. I do the groceries and pay the bills at home. During the first few months, I’d always get disconnection notices because I would forget to pay! It's a big responsibility but I’ve gotten the hang of it."
Life soundtrack: "Warrior is a Child"
"The song shows my senti side. Even if I’ve been in showbiz for a long time, I don’t show my true feelings to everyone. Maybe because it’s part of my work—I can’t bring my problems on the set. That’s why people think I’m masungit, but once they get to know me, they realize, 'Ay, kalog pala si Shaina! Hindi pala siya prim and proper.'"
Keys to success:
- Never stop learning. "I learn a lot from the different directors and actors I work with. Every day is a new experience!"
- Be passionate. "You have to love what you're doing. If you don't, you won't last in this business."
- Take time to de-stress. "I love kids! I have nieces and nephews. I call them whenever I feel down or really tired. Nakakawala sila ng pagod!"
3 things she loves about showbiz:
- Doing what she loves. "I grew up in showbiz. I feel so blessed that I was able to develop my talents at such a young age, work with veteran actors and actresses, and do what I’m passionate about."
- Being an inspiration. "'I'm happy that my fans appreciate me as a person even though I make mistakes. I want to leave a mark in this business. It feels good to inspire people through my work."
- Gaining new friends. "There was a time when a lot of my showbiz friends were older than me. It was an advantage because they shared their secrets with me and I was able to learn from their mistakes."
"I've always wanted to be a pediatrician because I love kids."
Greatest love lesson learned:
"There are no fairy tales in love. You can have an ideal boyfriend, but you have to realize that no one’s perfect. You have to learn to love the person’s flaws as well."
What're you up to today? Submit your OOTD, fanfic, essay, school project, org event, a pic of your latest hobby, or anything you want to be posted on the Candy Bulletin page!
"Today, I Won"
I always caught feelings for someone, and hoped so much that one day there could a thing between the two of us. I'm usually the one that makes the effort to buy and/or make cute gifts, chats them every other day, and stays up all night with him.
When I was 16, my childhood crush suddenly came back into my life. We'd constantly send updates to each other, recommend favorite songs and talk even the most random things. He'd even text me as early as 6 to just greet me good morning almost everyday. I hoped so much that when I confessed, he suddenly stopped talking to me.
For short, he ghosted me. Those 6 months I spent talking to him, allotting my time for him, and staying up until 3 am for him - all gone in a simple confession. Although I had a few crushes before him, he's the only one that got me in real pain. It was the kind of pain that I never thought I'd experience. It was the kind of pain that I couldn't believe.
After 7 years (it happened back in 2017), I thought he came back into my life to stay, but I guess he's just one of the guys who distanced. I felt a complete loser that time. But during this quarantine, everything was different. I caught feelings for someone else, but he treated me with the best kindness yet.
It happened at 2 am, May 30, 2020, when I impulsively confessed my feelings through messaging him. After saying my feelings, he responded with genuine and kind words. We both even complimented each other. Although the feelings didn't reciprocate, I still found a connection that can't be replaced with any guy.
To my 16 year old self, here I am, 18 and happy. You may have felt that time was the biggest regret and loss, but I'm here to tell you, we won. Today, I won.
Why our high school barkada is the best?
Remembering our high school years entails quite a lot reminiscing of the things we all been through when we were younger. You’ve experience a lot of new things during those 4 wonderful years and did most of them with the few people you consider your barkada. And through a series of all the lunch breaks you had together, the walks you took on the way home, and taking the same classes, you never thought you’d survive, you have made your life’s greatest friends.
Here are some of the reasons why your high school barkada is the best:
1. You figured out early teenage life together. The transition one have undergone from being a kid to a teenager wasn’t easy. For a moment you are not sure whether you should have played with your friends during recess or you should have just sat down and ate your food because you were too old for games. But whatever it is you chose to do, having friends who were as clueless as you make everything feel easier because you know, deep down, you’d figure things out eventually. You just need good company.
2. They were with you during your “jeje“ days. I bet you have pictures taken with Camera360 and Retrica. You also have pictures edited using Pizap with embarrassing captions and you somehow kept some of them so you could have something to post online during their birthdays.
3. They know all your exes. They will never EVER forget the name of an ex-boyfriend, an ex-fling, an ex-crush, and an almost you had. They will remind you of your every questionable love decision but you’ll just laugh anyway while saying “Past is past”.
4. They never judge you. They have welcomed you to their lives when you thought jelly shoes and checkered polos were the bomb! They were quick to have told your teachers that you were not feeling well so you could go home when you really just needed to poop. You tell them every embarrassing story you have and were fine with it.
5. You can always count on them. From the moment you first fell in love and the moment you first had your heart broken, they were with you. They were with you the moment you lost a parent and at moments when you thought you had nothing. Through every break-up and breakthrough, they were there to be your support system.
6. They are your family. Your high school friend’s family is your own family’s extension. Their parents are like your own. Don’t you feel a little kilig whenever your friend’s parents call you “anak”? And then eventually calling them mama and papa became so natural? I felt that, all the time.
7. They will always be your home. They are your place of refuge and security, the place who offers you their hands when you feel lost and the place you run to when you need saving. No matter how much time and distance separate you, they will be the one’s that you always long for and they are the one’s that you will always return to.
You're gonna bend and break and then at some point in your life, you feel like you don't want to fall in love again.
Not because you're no longer capable of loving but because you're so afraid to get hurt again that you don't want to take a risk anymore. And you're gonna wake up one day and realize that you're not the same person as you were yesterday. The heart aches, heartbreaks, frustration, you'll see, those will transform your whole being into something better.
Honey, move forward. Let go off all the things that are not meant for you. Let go of all the people who hurt you and take you for granted. Don't be stuck feeling miserable.
And don't turn that love into hate when you resent someone for hurting you or for breaking your heart. Just wish them well and let them go. Welcome the possibility of a beautiful love that will come your way. You're worthy of love that you keep on giving to other people. Keep that in mind.
I wish you well and all the happiness. You deserve it.
Here we are — with rough hands entwined, damned hearts at peace, broken souls resting with ease —savoring each passing moment before we part ways...hoping things will turn out to be okay. Here we are — standing still, keeping our earnest desire and ardent passion for each other at bay — hoping the Universe will finally grant us of the day that we no longer have to pretend... that things will no longer have to end.
Here we are — with crooked smiles, lingering touch that will last for a while -- gathering all the remaining courage to set each other free. Wishing for the day that our hearts will no longer have to worry. Here we are letting each other go. Even though we both know that the future is uncertain. Even though we're unsure if our paths will cross once again.