There are eight schools within the University of the Philippines (UP) system, and among the most well-known of those constituents is UP Manila. Often associated with the field of health sciences and public health, UPM is an extension of these services and their college programs. Before making UPM your alma mater, here’s what you need to know:
History of UP Manila
One of the eight branches of the UP System and its 17th campus around the Philippines, UP Manila takes up 14 hectares of land in Ermita, Manila. Its history can be traced back to its individual parts. It consists of many heritage buildings such as the Philippine General Hospital and the College of Medicine. You may also check out our story on the history of the UP system.
Top Courses UP Manila is Known For
UP Manila has become one of the top choices for students who want to enter the field of medicine. Some of the renowned bachelor’s programs include those in Industrial Pharmacy, Nursing, Public Health, and Basic Medical Sciences. Many medical students get to practice at the nearby UP Philippine General Hospital, which was just listed in April 2022 as one of LinkedIn’s Top 15 Best Workplaces to Grow Your Career in the Philippines.
Under the UP system, the institute is also a consistent placer on the QS Asia University Rankings and is in the top 11 percent of the regional list.
How to Apply to UP Manila
Applying to UPM is the same as applying to any other UP campus, in that the applications are usually consolidated and applicants are made to list down their top campus choices. After passing the UPCAT or the current requirements, officers at UP will filter down the results, the University Predicted Grade, and a minimum grade requirement set by the college of choice. The steps are below:
- After applicants are prompted to choose their campuses of choice and their degree programs, they are asked to prepare and submit the following:
- Form 1 Personal Data Sheet (filled out by applicant)
- Form 2A (filled out by the high school)
- Form 2B High School Record (filled out by applicant)
- A certified true copy of the Permanent Secondary School Record (F137/SF10) signed in wet signature of the authorized school personnel should be submitted to the UP Office of Admissions
- A high school diploma (if graduated)
- A DepEd Certificate of Recognition or Permit to Operate (if graduating)
- Fill out the online application form in the designated admissions portal here.
- Double-check whether your school has submitted its required forms and that all your forms are filled out and uploaded.
- Submit all the requirements and pay a non-refundable fee of P450 (for non-Filipino applicants only).
- Wait for the application results on the admissions portal.
How Much Tuition And Other Fees Cost at UP Manila
Because UP is a state-run university, local applicants from within the Philippines are exempted from tuition if they meet certain terms. If they aren’t exempt from the tuition, they can expect the tuition to be an estimated P31,500 per semester for 21 units. To find out the criteria for who qualifies for this, please see below:
- They already have attained a bachelor’s degree from any higher education institute
- They have not complied with the admission and retention policies of UP
- They have failed to complete their bachelor’s degree within a year after the period prescribed by the program
- They opt out and want to pay the tuition and other school fees
Famous Alumni From UP Manila
Some of the famous iskos from UP Manila consist of the late President Elpidio Quirino, who earned a law degree in 1915, as well as the current university chancellor, Dr. Carmencita Padilla. Just like the chancellor, another famous female doctor who hailed from UP Manila was Fe del Mundo, who founded the very first pediatric hospital in the country.
Many graduates also end up in public service like Quirino. Notable names include former Secretary of National Defense Alejandro Melchor and Moro political leader Nur Misuari. In the fields of medicine and science, National Scientist Ernesto Domingo and The Medical City President and CEO Alfredo Bengzon have both earned their graduate studies degrees at UPM.
Candy is now on Quento! Click here to download the app and enjoy more articles and videos from Candy and your favorite websites!