Universidad de Manila is a public university in Ermita, Manila, that offers excellent quality education from undergraduate to graduate studies, primarily for the City of Manila residents. Aside from giving experience and quality education to their students, the institution’s primary goal is to guide them to succeed in the paths they want to pursue. If you’re from Manila and have plans on taking a Criminology or Nursing course, you may wish to add Universidad de Manila to your list of options.
History of Universidad de Manila
Former Hon. Mayor Alfredo Lim founded The Dalubhasaan ng Lungsod Ng Maynila known as the City College of Manila (CCM). However, in 2006, the university changed its name to University de Manila in line with its campus location. In the same year, Former Hon. Mayor Jose Atienza Jr. and Hon. Juan Miguel Cuna inaugurated the new university. Later, City Ordinance No. 8120 got approved, which meant the operation must be by the law according to the mandate of the City of Manila. In 2020, the amendment of the City Ordinance led to changes in the university’s authorization, becoming an independent institutional department of the City of Manila.
The Universidad de Manila was made to give more opportunities to Manila residents who are less privileged but passionate about learning. The purpose is to create an equal education for all. Moreover, their goal is to provide education of the same caliber as the other standard colleges while considering the financial status of their residents.
Courses Universidad de Manila is Known For
The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) acknowledged the university’s college programs for its operation standards in 2015. The best courses they offer are programs in health sciences and criminology. The university got a high passing rate for the Nursing Licensure Exam last 2016, while criminology is one of the best courses in the Philippines.
How to Apply to the Universidad de Manila
The most challenging part of applying to universities is the requirements. It can be tough to find all the necessary documents but don’t worry; we’re here to guide you throughout your application process.
First, student applicants must be:
- A Bonafide resident of Manila
- A high school graduate (Requires Bridging Programs for General Education)
- Parents must be registered voters or taxpayers in Manila
- Physically fit
- Must pass the UDM Admission Test
- Fill out digital application forms at reg.udm.edu.ph/admission/college or reg.udm.edu.ph/shs
- Send copies of the following to emails according to your strand:
- Birth Certificate (NSO/PSO)
- Parents' latest ITR or Voter’s I.D. or Voter’s Affidavit
- For the first batch, Report Card with 2nd quarter grades (certified by the Guidance/Principal with GWA of 83%)
- For the 2nd-3rd batch, Report Card with complete grades
- Certificate of Good Moral Character
- Bring two colored 1 ½ X 1 ½ ID photos on a white background (with a nametag)
- For PEPT, ALS, NFEA&E - Certificate of Passing and Report Card
- You will receive an exam permit from your registered email.
- Print a copy of your exam permit
- Go to Universidad de Manila-Main campus during your assigned schedule
- Don’t forget to bring a ballpen, test permit, School ID/Valid ID, and at least two pencils
These are the requirements for application for incoming freshmen:
Take note of the procedures for the Admission Test before your examination:
You may review the full procedure here.
How Much Tuition and Other Fees Cost at Universidad de Manila
The government funds the university, which means the tuition fee is free, except for the other miscellaneous costs. However, they only accept applicants who are residents of the City of Manila.
Famous Alumni at Universidad de Manila
Most UdM alumni are academic achievers from the College of Criminology or Health Sciences courses. They have produced several nurses and policemen in the country. However, some graduates pursued a career in the field of entertainment. One of their most notable alumni is Phillip Salvador Palmos, a.k.a. Phi Palmos, who graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication. He’s best known for his role as Ganda in the Netflix film Dollhouse, starring Baron Geisler.
Everything You Need to Know Before Applying to University of Perpetual Help System DALTA
Everything You Need to Know Before Applying to Rizal Technological University
Everything You Need to Know Before Applying to University of the Cordilleras
Everything You Need to Know Before Applying to Treston International College