Pick the Right Outfit
- Consider the theme. Is it Bohemian? Masquerade? Glam Rock? Choose a dress that is appropriate for the theme. You don't want to show up in a Cinderella-inspired ball gown when your prom theme is Disco, do you?
- Look for pegs from magazines or go online to get design ideas for your dress. If you see an expensive designer dress that you like, take a picture and fins a cheaper alternative or consider having it made. Be careful not to rely on trends alone. Make sure the design flatters your body type.
- Have enough lead time of you're going to have your dress made. This can take up to a few weeks, since you have to fit several times. Bring pictures of the designs you want and show them to your seamstress. Keep in mind the school's dress code too.
- Find the right shoes and accessories to go with your dress. Remember, not everything has to match. It's all about making the colors complement one another. Make sure to tell your date the color of your dress so he can get you the right corsage. Don't forget to get him a boutonniere!
- Do a makeup test. Whether you're doing your own makeup or having it done by a professional on prom night, it's good to do a trial run at least two weeks before the prom. Now is the time to experiment with makeup looks you want to try, so that when prom night comes, you won't have a makeup meltdown.
Choose the Right Date
- Your long-time crush or your guy BFF? When choosing a date, consider how well you get along. Don't choose a guy just because of his looks. Make sure to go with someone you'll be comfortable with. Trust us, you'll end up having a lot more fun!
- Just act casually when you're asking your potential date to the prom. It's okay to be nervous, but don't eat your words or burst into a fit of giggles after popping the question. Don't wait till the last minute to ask him either. A few weeks' notice is enough.
- If you don't have the luxury of choosing your own date (say, your school pairs people up by height or the guy you wanted to ask already has a date), it doesn't mean you have to be miserable all night. Make a mental checklist of guys you want to dance with or friends you want to hang out with. This is the perfect time to get to know other people from your class other than your own barkada!
- If you want to bring a date but don't have any prospects, ask a trusted friend to set you up. You can even do a Big Brother Swap! (No, not Pinoy Big Brother.) Ask your friend to set you up with her cute older bro and she can go with yours. If you've never met the guy before, arrange a meeting before the prom so you'll be at ease with each other on the big night.
- Tell him the time and place where he should pick you up or meet you. Make sure you get al the details right so you don't end up like star-crossed lovers!
Is your Prom coming up? Are you ready for it? Fill out this check list: type in the date of your Prom and see if you've accomplished your to-dos on time!