- Know and understand your goal.
What do you want to achieve? Why do you want to enroll in a gym?
- Consider the two A's: Affordability
and Accessibility. Does the gym offer easy payment plans? Can you afford the monthly fees? How far is it from your place or your school?
Call the gym you are interested in and ask for more information, special promos, and student prices.
- Set an appointment with a professional trainer from the gym.
Most gyms offer a free trial session before actually asking you to pay. This would enable you to get a feel of their services.
- Respect and trust your trainer.
According to Ley Fernandez of Gold's Gym, Makati, "You and your trainer do not have to be the best of friends but you should at least have a common understanding of the goals you want to attain".
- Have fun with the machines and follow the STEPS!
People often encounter problems when they are not oriented with exercise machines such as the treadmill, shoulder/leg press, bicycle, etc.
- Lastly, stay POSITIVE! Realize the benefits of hitting the gym.
In general, going to the gym will make you look and feel good. It's also a great place for you to work out your aggressions and to clear your head of the stress that you experience.
Focus on the benefits and don't be too hard on yourself.