Formerly known as Cebu State College of Science and Technology (CSCST), the Cebu Technological University (CTU) first established its main campus in 1911. Now, they have a total of 20 campuses including one main campus, nine satellite campuses, and 13 extensions throughout Cebu province.
Learn more about CTU below!
History of the Cebu Technological University
The school first started in Cebu City where CTU’s main campus, Cebu Trade School, was established. The campus was founded by the Americans as the Manual Arts Department of the Cebu Normal School, now referred to as Cebu Normal University. It was then changed into Cebu School of Arts and Trades (CSAT) in 1940 when it offered a two-year technical course exclusively for male students. By 1950, they started welcoming female students as well.
Before being the Cebu Technological University we know now, the institution integrated 10 schools into CSCST on June 10, 1983. With their vision to be a premier multidisciplinary-technological university, they expanded and established eight other campuses in Tuburan, Carmen, Moalboal, San Francisco, Danao, Barili, Daanbantayan, and Argao. In 2009, CTU became a state university by virtue of the Republic Act No. 9744.
Top Courses of the Cebu Technological University
With 20 campuses, CTU offers over 45 undergraduate degree programs and over 15 graduate degree programs. They also offer online and special programs. Among all these, they are known in the field of technology, engineering and agriculture.Their College of Agriculture is one of the National Universities and Colleges of Agriculture and Fisheries (NUCAF). Under this College are Bachelor of Science in Agriculture and Bachelor of Agricultural Technology. Under their College of Technology, there are seven degree programs including Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology and Bachelor of Science in Graphic and Design. They also offer BS Civil Engineering, BS Electrical Engineering, BS Electronics Engineering, BS Industrial Engineering, BS Mechanical Engineering, and BS Agricultural Engineering under the College of Engineering.
Their College of Education also produces excellent topnotchers. During the recent March 2023 Licensure Examination for Professional Teachers, five CTU alumni placed first, eighth, and tenth in the top-notchers list. This is not a rare occasion for them as they also have five CTU examinees to place second, third, fourth, seventh, and tenth in the September 2021 LET.
How to Apply to the Cebu Technological University
If you want to be part of this school, you must first fill out their application form here. Here are the requirements needed to apply in CTU:
For First Year College students:
- High School Report Card (Form 138)/ Certificate of Rating for Alternative Learning System (ALS) or its equivalent
- Certificate of Good Moral Character
- Two (2) copies of 2”x2” recent ID pictures with white background and name tag
- Long brown envelope / folder (15” x 10”)
- Official Receipt of Testing Fee
- Admission Test
- Certificate of Transfer Credentials/Informative copy of TOR;
- Certification of Good Moral Character;
- Two (2) copies of 2×2 recent ID pictures with white background and name tag; and
- Endorsement Letter signed by the Campus Director if the transferee comes from another CTU Campus.
- Admission Test
For foreign students:
- Student applicant’s Personal History Statement (PHS) signed by him, both in English and in his national alphabet, containing among others his left and right thumbprints and a 2×2 photograph on plain white background taken not more than six months prior to submission;
- Transcript of Records (TOR) or scholastic records from the applicant’s country of origin duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post;
- A notarized Affidavit of Support including bank statements or notarized notice of grant (for institution scholars) to cover expenses for the student’s accommodation and subsistence, as well as school dues and other incidental expenses;
- Photocopy of data page of the applicant’s passport;
- Birth certificate or its equivalent duly authenticated by the Philippine Foreign Service Post;
- Police Clearance/ NBI Clearance from the applicant’s country of origin;
- Quarantine Medical Clearance from the National Quarantine Office; and
- Other requirements from the Bureau of Immigration (BI).
How Much the Tuition and Other Fees Cost at the Cebu Technological University
As a state university, CTU is one of the Universities that is included in the Free Tuition Law. However, only undergraduate students from first to fifth year college can avail the said policy. Testing fees are free, except for second coursers and foreign students. For second coursers, the testing fee for board programs is P400.00 and P300.00 for non-board programs. For foreign students, P1,200.00 for board programs and P900.00 for non-board programs.
Famous Alumni from the Cebu Technological University
CTU produces intelligent and remarkable people such as Richard Gomez, who graduated in 2019 with a doctorate in Public Administration. He is only one of the many alumni that upholds CTU’s mission of serving the community.