The Ex Detox: Your Cleansing Ritual for the Holidays
- Don't be a social media ghost. One of the worst things about a breakup is adjusting to not seeing your name or your pictures on his timeline anymore, but that doesn't mean you should lurk around too. You may not tweet or Instagram harsh quotes about love, but waiting around for his tweets, tagged photos, and Instagram posts is just as worse. You don't have to put yourself through that especially now that it's the most wonderful time of the year! Rid yourself of any social media attachments and focus on moving on, little by little.
- When in doubt, turn your phone off. 'Tis the season to be jolly… not to be lonely. It gets tempting to send that "I miss you" text or reply to his "what’s up" text at 3AM. Know that things end and when they do, it's for a reason. That reason may not necessarily be clear and evident right now, but sooner or later you'll see that some relationships don't work in order to give way for better people and a greater love.
- Get rid of daily (or any) reminders of your ex. I'm not saying you have to throw all his letters, photos, and gifts into a pile and set it on fire. However, it gets a little less painful when you don't have to remember every day. Take down that corkboard filled with polaroids, date receipts, and movie tickets and put it away. What you need right now is a clean slate and some time to work on yourself. Remember who you were before that relationship and decide on what kind of person you'll become after.
- Spend more time with family and friends. When you were still in a relationship, you devoted at least 50% of the time you spent with The Ex. Now is the time to make up for that and go back to the people who care for you more than anything. It's the holidays! Go out shopping for Christmas gifts with your family or have a Christmas-themed movie marathon with your friends.
- Pursue other interests. Get yourself a new hobby. Try out some pottery classes or start collecting stamps. Whatever it is, start getting into it. Maybe there's something you've always wanted to do but you just never had time. Now is as good a time as any. It never hurts to give something new a try.
- Jumpstart your lifestyle of fitness. Speaking of other interests, why not channel your energy to taking your first step towards a healthy lifestyle? Not only is working out good for your overall health, it also helps clear your mind and get your mind off things. Take up yoga classes, go jogging around your village or download some workout videos and do it at home. You can almost exercise everywhere and it’s Christmas break so there are no excuses left!
- Go on a mini-vacation. It’s the time where your family and friends are finally complete and all together. Go on a road trip with friends or go out of the country with your family, Havea little retreat by yourself and reflect on where you are in your life right now. See how much you’re surrounded by good people and blessed with good things. Take time away from it all – the noise, the buzz and the commotion. It’s good to spend some time alone so you can be reminded of who you really are. Think about the things you want out of life and what you have to do to get them.
Know more tips and tricks on getting rid of the breakup blues during the holidays? Let us know in the comments or tweet us @candymagdotcom to join the conversation. :)