Is Sex Before Marriage No Longer Taboo?
Is sex before marriage no longer taboo? In 2012, Candy surveyed about 400 girls aged 13 to 21 to explore their views on young love, intimacy, and all things in between.
The First Move
THE SCORE: Of all our respondents, 61% said the situation determines whether the guy or the girl makes the first move.
On the other hand, 29% thumbed down the idea of girls making the first move. The other 10% said it's totally fine for girls to be the first to approach the guys they like. Mariz, 19, does not want to make the first move out of fear of being turned down. "I am usually shy around the guy I like and I also fear I would be rejected if I confess my feelings. Thus, I just keep things to myself."
A word of advice from Obet Cabrillas, a relationship counselor and a leader in one of the biggest Catholic communities in the Philippines: "Young men are overly presumptuous. Guys may assume that girls are attracted to them through unintended minute gestures, all the more if the gesture or 'move' is intended."
The Seal of Approval
THE SCORE: A resounding 95% of all respondents said it is important for parents to meet and approve of their boyfriend.
Angeline, 16, said having the blessing of her parents made her relationship with her guy stronger. Marga, 19, said it will be hard for her to maintain a relationship that is "not legal."
Of all our respondents, 82% said having their friends' approval of their guys is important, too. For Victoria, 19, her friends' opinions compensate for her blind spots. "My friends know me well enough and I tend to get too involved in something that I fail to see the big picture," she said. Carrie, 19, also relies on her friends to help her make the right decisions on the guys she is involved with. "There may be red flags I didn’t see because I was so in love, and therefore, my friends' approval matters."
Cabrillas emphasized that the youth should not discount their parents' guidance when it comes to relationships. "Parental discernment and foresight must always be respected.?Parental approval and intellectual, level-headed discussion about being in a relationship must be an ongoing process," said Cabrillas.?Citing studies abroad, Cabrillas said that successful people are those whose parental influence and counsel are readily available. As for considering friends' approval of their boyfriends, Cabrillas made the following suggestion: "If the pressure brings out the best in you, then make it your inspiration.?Yet if peer approval and pressure are forcing you to compromise your values, then by all means, assert!"
Love and Intimacy
THE SCORE: 78% said sex should be reserved for married couples.
Majority of the girls who said no to premarital sex cited their Catholic beliefs and upbringing as the reasons behind their stance. "Purity is the best gift you can give your future husband," said Lauren, 15.
For Liz, 16, "Premarital sex is a sin and will just create a myriad of problems in the future." Erica, 15, also added, "Sex is something built for marriage. I only want to do it with the one person I love, without any guilt and regret."
On the other hand, 16% said having sex is fine as long as both parties are ready to be intimate. Of all our respondents, 93% said they have not had sex yet because they are not yet prepared and because they are waiting until they get married.
Addressing teens who get carried away by their emotions and agree to have sex with their boyfriends, Cabrillas said that his counseling experience taught him that the female youth are romantically-inclined while the male youth are more sexually-inclined.?"The girls have romantic daydreams, whereas the boys fantasize about sexual experiences.?Therefore, a dilemma happens when the sexually-inclined boy pounces on the romantically-inclined girl." Thus, it's important for couples to have good communication in order to have a healthy, loving relationship.
Do you think the case is still the same now? Let's talk in the comments or via Twitter @candymagdotcom. We always love hearing from you. :)
*Real names of respondents were withheld.
**This article was originally published in Candy's January-February 2012 issue.
What're you up to today? Submit your OOTD, fanfic, essay, school project, org event, a pic of your latest hobby, or anything you want to be posted on the Candy Bulletin page!
Why our high school barkada is the best?
Remembering our high school years entails quite a lot reminiscing of the things we all been through when we were younger. You’ve experience a lot of new things during those 4 wonderful years and did most of them with the few people you consider your barkada. And through a series of all the lunch breaks you had together, the walks you took on the way home, and taking the same classes, you never thought you’d survive, you have made your life’s greatest friends.
Here are some of the reasons why your high school barkada is the best:
1. You figured out early teenage life together. The transition one have undergone from being a kid to a teenager wasn’t easy. For a moment you are not sure whether you should have played with your friends during recess or you should have just sat down and ate your food because you were too old for games. But whatever it is you chose to do, having friends who were as clueless as you make everything feel easier because you know, deep down, you’d figure things out eventually. You just need good company.
2. They were with you during your “jeje“ days. I bet you have pictures taken with Camera360 and Retrica. You also have pictures edited using Pizap with embarrassing captions and you somehow kept some of them so you could have something to post online during their birthdays.
3. They know all your exes. They will never EVER forget the name of an ex-boyfriend, an ex-fling, an ex-crush, and an almost you had. They will remind you of your every questionable love decision but you’ll just laugh anyway while saying “Past is past”.
4. They never judge you. They have welcomed you to their lives when you thought jelly shoes and checkered polos were the bomb! They were quick to have told your teachers that you were not feeling well so you could go home when you really just needed to poop. You tell them every embarrassing story you have and were fine with it.
5. You can always count on them. From the moment you first fell in love and the moment you first had your heart broken, they were with you. They were with you the moment you lost a parent and at moments when you thought you had nothing. Through every break-up and breakthrough, they were there to be your support system.
6. They are your family. Your high school friend’s family is your own family’s extension. Their parents are like your own. Don’t you feel a little kilig whenever your friend’s parents call you “anak”? And then eventually calling them mama and papa became so natural? I felt that, all the time.
7. They will always be your home. They are your place of refuge and security, the place who offers you their hands when you feel lost and the place you run to when you need saving. No matter how much time and distance separate you, they will be the one’s that you always long for and they are the one’s that you will always return to.
You're gonna bend and break and then at some point in your life, you feel like you don't want to fall in love again.
Not because you're no longer capable of loving but because you're so afraid to get hurt again that you don't want to take a risk anymore. And you're gonna wake up one day and realize that you're not the same person as you were yesterday. The heart aches, heartbreaks, frustration, you'll see, those will transform your whole being into something better.
Honey, move forward. Let go off all the things that are not meant for you. Let go of all the people who hurt you and take you for granted. Don't be stuck feeling miserable.
And don't turn that love into hate when you resent someone for hurting you or for breaking your heart. Just wish them well and let them go. Welcome the possibility of a beautiful love that will come your way. You're worthy of love that you keep on giving to other people. Keep that in mind.
I wish you well and all the happiness. You deserve it.
Here we are — with rough hands entwined, damned hearts at peace, broken souls resting with ease —savoring each passing moment before we part ways...hoping things will turn out to be okay. Here we are — standing still, keeping our earnest desire and ardent passion for each other at bay — hoping the Universe will finally grant us of the day that we no longer have to pretend... that things will no longer have to end.
Here we are — with crooked smiles, lingering touch that will last for a while -- gathering all the remaining courage to set each other free. Wishing for the day that our hearts will no longer have to worry. Here we are letting each other go. Even though we both know that the future is uncertain. Even though we're unsure if our paths will cross once again.
My name is Vin Kolby Ty, I am 17 years old and I am 5'9 Feet tall, I live in Cebu City Philippines and I'm currently studying in a public school at Bulacao Community High School (BCHS) taking TVL track 'Bread and Pastry Production', I am also a freelance photographer based in Cebu City, I also love dancing and i even joined a dancing crew at our school and won our first dancing competition last November 2019 at an event of Titus Ph in Gaisano Grand Mall Cebu City. Being an Actor and a Model had always been my dream ever since i was a kid and I will try hard to achieve my dreams.
Hi, my sister sent me this link :)
I would like my vlog to be featured in Candy! I believe that if my vlog gets featured in Candy, I will be able to help more aspiring med students! I made this a Youtube vlog just like three weeks ago. So far, I have been receiving messages that they find my med school videos informative! My vlog focuses on med school tips :) So far, these are my content:
Check out the Med School Interview tips I have for UPCM, St. Luke’s, UERM, and ASMPH here: https://youtu.be/lnxqhIktcIM
Check out what’s in my Med Kit for ward works here: https://youtu.be/FbiyerNMkJ4
If you haven’t watched Hospital Playlist, let us tell you why you should watch it here: https://youtu.be/mDOcM-Jd1e8
Do you have any Med School Worries? Watch this! Candy Cutie Eljohn Yee might have answered it:
Wanna know more about UPCM Intarmed? Click here: https://youtu.be/XnKtPxQYIkg
Thank you! Hope we can both work together to inspire med students :)