Going on your very first date has got to be the most exciting, most terrifying, most goose-pimple-inducing event in your life—so much so that whenever you think about it in your head, it’s always in title caps: “I’m going on ‘My First Date.’” It’s a lot like riding rollercoasters: you feel a lot of flip-flopping in your tummy, and you sometimes have to scream to get those intense emotions out—but your hair looks much, much nicer.
So what do you do? What do you wear? What do you say? What do you wear, seriously? Calm down! We’ve put together the most comprehensive guide on what to do on Your First Date. It’s so comprehensive, we’ve called it:
Basic rules on your date fashion:
- Skip the skimpy and tut-tut the tight. When it comes to this most crucial event, it is imperative that you feel cute yet comfy in your date wear. You may look über hot in that tube, but you don’t want parts of your body unexpectedly popping out while reaching for that saltshaker, do you?
- Ditto for shoes as well. While you really want to add impressive inches to your height, your toes will probably be crying murder 30 minutes into those killer stilettos. Opt for flats with pretty accents, or kitten heels (low, slim heels of moderate height).
- Scents and sensibility: don’t gallop to your mother, and dive into her bottle of perfume—your date will take one whiff of you and drop dead at your Saruman-like smell. Stick to light, elegant scents (nothing too fruity or musky); use tiny spritzes on pulse points like your wrists, the insides of your elbows, and the back of your neck.
- Stick to your natural style, and choose the clothes you like—pieces you feel prettiest and most comfortable in. Don’t all of a sudden wear a micro mini-denim skirt and slashed top if you’re more of a preppy, classic chick.
- If you’re attending a rock concert, don’t wear a glitzy evening gown. If you’re doing dinner and a movie, don’t wear teensy-weensy shorts and a tank top. In short: wear what is appropriate for the occasion.
Kikay Kit Inspection!
- Proper purse essentials to make sure he keeps his eye on you all night!
- Lip gloss
- Face powder
- A tiny tissue pack, or those oil-blotter thingies
- Extra money, for possible emergencies
- A tiny vial of perfume or cologne
Relax... we tell you how you can have a great time and leave a lasting impression on your date on the next page.