Why You Can Be Girly and a Geek At The Same Time
There are many things in the world that I don't understand.
Math, for example, is and will always remain as a perpetual mystery that I'm not even sure I have enough willpower (or sanity) to solve. I'm no genius, but it doesn't take straights on As in a subject about logical reasoning and mechanical formula to understand that a Girl + Stereotypical girly traits + Stereotypical girly interests = Inability to be a geek.
But before we get to that, let's lay down some facts first. What is a geek, anyway? According to the Merriam Webster, it's "a person who is very interested and knows a lot about a particular field or activity." In the past, harsh stereotypes and outdated media cliches used to depict them as hermits who live in their parents' basements and tan via computer screens. But thanks to modern influences and evolved mindsets regarding traditionally geeky commodities, titleholders no longer carry the term with as much malice and shame as they once did. Nowadays, just about everyone is a self-proclaimed geek for something! Whether you spend your weekends deciding between Dota 2 vs. League of Legends or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 vs. Battlefield 4, or binge watching and making critical analyses about obscure 90s films, you proudly fulfill the New Age geek criteria and carry the name with utmost dignity.
Nowadays, just about everyone is a self-proclaimed geek for something!
Now what does the world have to say about the term girly? By definition, it's simply a "characteristic of, or appropriate to a girl or young woman." But by typecast impressions and social context, it's slang for a female subscribing to conventional feminine ideals like using makeup, owning a copious amount of pink, donning skirts and dresses, infusing "OMG!" "Oh my golly gosh," "like," and "so" in her lexicon, and concerning herself with boys, gossip, and the ever-so suspenseful condition of her nails.
With these 2 terms now properly defined, you probably think the idea of ever mixing both into one person would just be ridiculously impossible and unnatural, right?
There is no universal, set-in-stone law that states that the way a girl chooses to look must define what she chooses to like. In this day and age, as much as we tell girls to go in the direction of their dreams and interests with reckless abandon, a majority of our society still tends to hold that go-getter back if what she aims for isn't what tradition tells us girls should aim for. Skipping buying lunch (and bringing homecooked baon) for 3 months to finally purchase Kylie Jenner's Dolce K lip kit? Definitely! Pulling an all-nighter to untangle your Link wig and finalize the Skyward Sword's detailing for the cosplay convention next week? Don't even think about it.
There is no universal, set-in-stone law that states that the way a girl chooses to look must define what she chooses to like.
It's 2016, people. Annihilate the idea that just because a girl can spend hours learning how to perfect her winged eyeliner, she's probably lying about staying up every night to learn the Aurebesh alphabet. If she's a Star Wars geek, regardless of how she portrays herself, she's a Star Wars geek. If she tells you she likes the Avengers, don't raise your brow and condescendingly ask "Do you even read the comics?"
Your misshapen, gender-biased notions about what girly girls can or cannot be does not affect the authenticity of her interests.
Stop devaluing her status as a connoisseur regarding a certain topic just because she's feminine. To be considered a geek, one must be passionate. People see girly girls in such a negative light, mocking them and calling them ditzes as if they're uneducated and uninformed. When you reject her claim to be interested in something beyond the fields you've constricted her in, you make her believe she's incapable of pouring ardent and intense attention into her hobby.
Because at the end of the day, we're all just a bunch of people doing our best to be happy. So if a girl finds something that makes her smile, whether it's a new pair of heels or the news that Hyrda-Cap is in a fact a hoax (fingers crossed!), just let her be, because there's no reason why a girl can't have an expensive tube of BB-cream in one hand, and an equally splurge-worthy BB-8 figurine in the other.
What're you up to today? Submit your OOTD, fanfic, essay, school project, org event, a pic of your latest hobby, or anything you want to be posted on the Candy Bulletin page!
Why our high school barkada is the best?
Remembering our high school years entails quite a lot reminiscing of the things we all been through when we were younger. You’ve experience a lot of new things during those 4 wonderful years and did most of them with the few people you consider your barkada. And through a series of all the lunch breaks you had together, the walks you took on the way home, and taking the same classes, you never thought you’d survive, you have made your life’s greatest friends.
Here are some of the reasons why your high school barkada is the best:
1. You figured out early teenage life together. The transition one have undergone from being a kid to a teenager wasn’t easy. For a moment you are not sure whether you should have played with your friends during recess or you should have just sat down and ate your food because you were too old for games. But whatever it is you chose to do, having friends who were as clueless as you make everything feel easier because you know, deep down, you’d figure things out eventually. You just need good company.
2. They were with you during your “jeje“ days. I bet you have pictures taken with Camera360 and Retrica. You also have pictures edited using Pizap with embarrassing captions and you somehow kept some of them so you could have something to post online during their birthdays.
3. They know all your exes. They will never EVER forget the name of an ex-boyfriend, an ex-fling, an ex-crush, and an almost you had. They will remind you of your every questionable love decision but you’ll just laugh anyway while saying “Past is past”.
4. They never judge you. They have welcomed you to their lives when you thought jelly shoes and checkered polos were the bomb! They were quick to have told your teachers that you were not feeling well so you could go home when you really just needed to poop. You tell them every embarrassing story you have and were fine with it.
5. You can always count on them. From the moment you first fell in love and the moment you first had your heart broken, they were with you. They were with you the moment you lost a parent and at moments when you thought you had nothing. Through every break-up and breakthrough, they were there to be your support system.
6. They are your family. Your high school friend’s family is your own family’s extension. Their parents are like your own. Don’t you feel a little kilig whenever your friend’s parents call you “anak”? And then eventually calling them mama and papa became so natural? I felt that, all the time.
7. They will always be your home. They are your place of refuge and security, the place who offers you their hands when you feel lost and the place you run to when you need saving. No matter how much time and distance separate you, they will be the one’s that you always long for and they are the one’s that you will always return to.
You're gonna bend and break and then at some point in your life, you feel like you don't want to fall in love again.
Not because you're no longer capable of loving but because you're so afraid to get hurt again that you don't want to take a risk anymore. And you're gonna wake up one day and realize that you're not the same person as you were yesterday. The heart aches, heartbreaks, frustration, you'll see, those will transform your whole being into something better.
Honey, move forward. Let go off all the things that are not meant for you. Let go of all the people who hurt you and take you for granted. Don't be stuck feeling miserable.
And don't turn that love into hate when you resent someone for hurting you or for breaking your heart. Just wish them well and let them go. Welcome the possibility of a beautiful love that will come your way. You're worthy of love that you keep on giving to other people. Keep that in mind.
I wish you well and all the happiness. You deserve it.
Here we are — with rough hands entwined, damned hearts at peace, broken souls resting with ease —savoring each passing moment before we part ways...hoping things will turn out to be okay. Here we are — standing still, keeping our earnest desire and ardent passion for each other at bay — hoping the Universe will finally grant us of the day that we no longer have to pretend... that things will no longer have to end.
Here we are — with crooked smiles, lingering touch that will last for a while -- gathering all the remaining courage to set each other free. Wishing for the day that our hearts will no longer have to worry. Here we are letting each other go. Even though we both know that the future is uncertain. Even though we're unsure if our paths will cross once again.
My name is Vin Kolby Ty, I am 17 years old and I am 5'9 Feet tall, I live in Cebu City Philippines and I'm currently studying in a public school at Bulacao Community High School (BCHS) taking TVL track 'Bread and Pastry Production', I am also a freelance photographer based in Cebu City, I also love dancing and i even joined a dancing crew at our school and won our first dancing competition last November 2019 at an event of Titus Ph in Gaisano Grand Mall Cebu City. Being an Actor and a Model had always been my dream ever since i was a kid and I will try hard to achieve my dreams.
Hi, my sister sent me this link :)
I would like my vlog to be featured in Candy! I believe that if my vlog gets featured in Candy, I will be able to help more aspiring med students! I made this a Youtube vlog just like three weeks ago. So far, I have been receiving messages that they find my med school videos informative! My vlog focuses on med school tips :) So far, these are my content:
Check out the Med School Interview tips I have for UPCM, St. Luke’s, UERM, and ASMPH here: https://youtu.be/lnxqhIktcIM
Check out what’s in my Med Kit for ward works here: https://youtu.be/FbiyerNMkJ4
If you haven’t watched Hospital Playlist, let us tell you why you should watch it here: https://youtu.be/mDOcM-Jd1e8
Do you have any Med School Worries? Watch this! Candy Cutie Eljohn Yee might have answered it:
Wanna know more about UPCM Intarmed? Click here: https://youtu.be/XnKtPxQYIkg
Thank you! Hope we can both work together to inspire med students :)