Simbang Gabi Battle Plan: How To Make Sure You Wake Up In The Morning
The evenings are a little cooler, Christmas carols are being sung everywhere, and your favorite holiday eats are slowly inching their way back to the storefronts. Pasko na! And with just a little over a week to go before the big day, the Filipino tradition of Simbang Gabi is now upon us.
You know how it is, you wake up super early on the first day and somehow, as the last of the nine dawn Masses nears, you suddenly can't defy the pull of your bed. And before you know it, you've skipped half of Simbang Gabi already.
So we've got a few tips to make sure you get up right on time this week!
- The obvious: sleep early. We know that you love staying up for whatever reason (Facebook, TV, late night Snapchatting with your bestie), but we're serious. If you want to wake up early, you'll need to get to bed before 12mn!
- Put away the gadgets. Whether you're trying to finish that last ("last na talaga") level of PVZ or refreshing every 5 seconds to get something new on your Instagram feed, you'll never get sleepy if you're constantly making your brain work (aka looking at your phone, tablet, laptop).
- Keep your alarm away from you. The thing about multiple alarms is it won't work if you just keep on hitting the snooze button. When you need to get up from your bed to shut off the alarm, it'll also help wake you up in the process.
- Jump out of bed. It might sound a little silly but if you wake up with a start, you'll force your body to get out of that sleepy state. Sitting up—if jumping is a bit much for you—can also help you from going back under the covers. Just make sure you walk away from your bed in the next 5 minutes!
- Drink a glass of water. Your body's on hibernation mode from being motionless all night. You get dehydrated in your sleep too. Follow it up with a hot cup of tea or your favorite coffee to wake you up even more.
Check back with us if you make it till the 9th day of Simbang Gabi! Good luck, sleepyhead.