What to do if a friend has a drinking problem:
- Be willing to listen when she talks to you. Don't tell her what to do or make sermon—she might just resent the fact that she ever approached you. Remember that she's probably drinking because she has a problem.
- Tell her how concerned you are about her drinking—but you don't do it when she's drunk. That's not going to help at all!
- Stand by your friend. If she's too embarrassed or afraid to ask for professional help, go with her. She might need to rely on you. Let her know that you are there to help.
- Be encouraging. Your friend might lapse back into drinking, but if you and your other pals are around to keep her on track, she'll have an easier time healing.
- Don't do this alone. Gather her close friends and form a support group. You'll realize how much easier it is when you're in it together, and your friend will see how many people actually do love her and want her to get well.
- Pray for her.