Medical Students Can Get Free Tuition in UP Manila and 7 Other SUCs
Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Commissioner Prospero de Vera III recently shared a press statement on his Facebook account saying Doctor of Medicine students in select State Universities and Colleges (SUC) can now get free tuition this school year! (via rappler.com)
The budget allotment of P317.1 million will be for new and continuing Filipino medical students studying in these SUCs:
- University of Northern Philippines
- Mariano Marcos State University
- Cagayan State University
- Bicol University
- West Visayas State University
- University of the Philippines-Leyte
- Mindanao State University
- University of the Philippines-Manila
They can avail of the free tuition via the Cash Grants to Medical Students Enrolled in State Universities and Colleges (CGMS-SUCs) program.
To qualify, students must be able to meet the following:
- Pass the admission requirement of the SUC.
- Enroll in authorized Doctor of Medicine programs of the SUC.
- Maintain a general weighted average (GWA) of at least a passing grade.
- Carry a regular academic load and complete the degree within the period allowed in the university.
In return, the student grantees must pay it forward by working as a doctor in the Philippines depending on the number of years of cash grant they received from the program.
Read the full press statement below:
Do you have other questions related to the government's free tuition program? Let us know in the comments below!