#PrayForMarawi: Here's What We Know So Far About the Ongoing Crisis in Marawi City
- President Rodrigo Duterte, who was in Moscow, Russia with some members of his cabinet for the bilateral talks, apologized to Russian President Vladimir Putin because he had to cut his visit short due to the ongoing crisis in Marawi City. He's scheduled to arrive in the Philippines today at 5PM. (via Inquirer.net)
Read about the Martial Law declaration here:
- ICYMI, the AFP also released their official statement through Public Affairs Office Chief Marine Colonel Edgard A. Arevalo in a video. His major points are summarized in the video's details below:
The most important part is the AFP's call for us to refrain from posting and re-posting photos and videos that may put our troops and their operations in danger. They also assured us that they will be giving us updates from time to time. He said, "We fervently urge our people to refrain from posting in social media information that would tend exacerbate the situation. Especially of photos and videos on the movements of our troops and on terrorist propaganda circulating through social media. We will continue to provide updates as often as possible with due regard to the security of our operating forces and the conduct of the operations itself."
"We fervently urge our people to refrain from posting in social media information that would tend exacerbate the situation. Especially of photos and videos on the movements of our troops and on terrorist propaganda circulating through social media." —Chief Marine Col. Edgard A. Arevalo
- Martial Law was declared in Mindanao last night. Here's a short infographic on the difference of the late president Ferdinand Marcos' Martial Law from the one that was declared at around 11PM yesterday.
- The encounter started at around 2PM yesterday when government forces searched for "high value targets" that allegedly belonged to the Abu Sayyaf and Maute groups (groups that have "pledged allegiance" to the international terrorist group ISIS) in Brgy. Basak Malutlut after receiving reports from residents in the area. (via Rappler.com)
- Marawi City Mayor Majul Gandamra went on air on CNN at around 8PM and said that they were still waiting for reinforcements from the government. At 9:21PM, Spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla released an official statement from the Armed Forces of the Philippines asking citizens to calm down and also encouraging them to continue giving specific details about the location of the rebel forces as much as they can to help government troops.
- Personal accounts on social media (posted 4PM onwards yesterday) further showed the presence of rebel forces in the city. We included more accounts below:
- Various establishments have been burned down by members of the rebel forces. This includes schools, hospitals, and religious establishments. Entrance/exit areas in the city have also been blocked to stop residents and government forces from going in and out of the city.
- No firefighters and firetrucks responded to rebels allegedly firing down parts of the city.
At this difficult time for our country, we encourage everyone to pray and to set aside our political views ATM which we believe is what these groups want. Our prayers go out to the citizens of Marawi City and to our Filipino troops who are putting their lives at risk so that we can restore peace and order in the country.
UPDATED MAY 23, 9:24PM: Spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla released an official statement from the Armed Forces of the Philippines, asking citizens to calm down because the operations are still ongoing and that they can't give specific details yet. They also encouraged citizens to give information on the location of the rebel forces if they can.
UPDATED MAY 23, 8:33PM: In an interview with CNN on television, Marawi City Mayor Majul Gandamra said on air that there's no presence of the military and the Philippine National Police near his area in Marawi City, but that he's asked help from other officials already. He said also that they're armed, but that they needed support from the government, saying, "We can't do it alone!"
The mayor, as of posting, is at the City Hall with his men to guard and defend the building, which is very near the Amai Pakpak Medical Center that's under the control of the Maute group. Another resident from Marawi, Zed Abantas, confirmed the information that there are indeed no reinforcements from the AFP and PNP in the city, and that they're still waiting.
On the other hand, Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief Gen. Eduardo Año, who's in Moscow ATM with President Rodrigo Duterte, said on air that the government forces are in full control and that all civilians are advised to stay indoors. He also cleared what really began this incident, at around 2PM today, which was their search of Abu Sayyaf group leader Isnilon Hapilon who was allegedly with a group in the area.
UPDATED May 23, 7:22PM: Marawi resident Chico Usman told us about what's going on right now near the Marawi City Jail, "May sunog na malapit sa City Jail. Malakas na kasi palitan ng putok kaya nagkasunog. Madaming sumabog kanina."
When we asked what he wanted us to tell the government, he answered, "Sana dumating na [ang] militar at sana po 'wag nilang bombahan [ang] mga bahay dito, kasi [maraming] civilians na trapped. Ang sunog po ay nasa Marawi City Jail, pero 'di ko po 100% sure."
This photo was taken from the rooftop of where Chico is staying ATM:
To our fellow Filipinos from Marawi, we're keeping you in our prayers and we do hope you're safe.
Just a few hours ago, we were shocked when this post landed on our Feeds.
It's about the ISIS flag seen in Marawi City, the capital city of Lanao del Sur. And while we're still waiting for more details on what's going on, here's a list of what we know so far about this heartbreaking event.
- The Maute group invaded the area and attacked the Amai Pakpak Medical Center.
The Maute group is, according to The Philippine Star, "also known as the Dawlah Islamiya Philippines, which espouses hatred to non-Muslims. It also boasts of loyalty to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria and uses the black ISIS flag as its revolutionary banner." This explains why one Facebook user spotted an ISIS flag just outside her house.
- A crossfire is still ongoing as of posting.
In a report by GMA News, one soldier identified as Capt. Solar was hurt in the firefight which started at 3PM, after the group took over the Amai Pakpak Medical Center in the province. In a separate account told to the news organization, Ret. Col. Tatar Boriongan, Lanao Del Sur Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Officer (PDRMMO), said that his team couldn't also mobilize because there are checkpoints controlled by the group in the area.
- We asked two people from Marawi City via Facebook messenger, and we're fortunate enough that they were willing to share their personal accounts of what happened earlier. Their stories, written below, coincide with the reports.
Chico Usman, Brgy. Naga: "At 4PM, the ISIS made barricade at [the] intersection near us and very near also to the Marawi City Jail. Between 3 to 4PM, nag-start ['yung putukan]. Wala nang labasan sa bahay ngayon. Malalakas pa rin ang putukan."
When we asked whether there are soldiers in the area already, Chico told us, "Wala pa po akong nakitang militar. Mga ISIS lang, pinapaputukan ang Marawi City Jail at rumiresbak ang mga pulis sa loob ng jail. Hanggang ngayon, may putukan pa rin."
From a person living in Lilod, Marawi who wanted us to keep her anonymous: "[The people carrying the ISIS flag] remained for more than three hours in front of my house without noises. They are harmless towards civilians. Pag walang dumating na army, wala ring puputok kaya sana wala nang dumating na mga army."
When we told him that another source from Brgy. Naga told us that gunshots can be heard in their area, she replied, "Sa kanila lang po 'yun. Sa amin ay tahimik pa rin hanggang ngayon. Blocking force ata itong mga ISIS sa amin kasi 40 meters lang ang layo nila sa Mapandi Bridge. Huwag na po i-mention ang name ko. 'Yung bridge po ang binabantayan nila para walang makadaan na mga AFP kasi about 40 meters po ang layo nila sa bridge."
We also told our source to let us know if she wants us to publish anything from them regarding what's going on, and this is what she said: "The people of Marawi [are] asking the AFP to let the Marawi City leaders negotiate with the ISIS groups, instead of fighting."
Candymag.com is open to publishing personal accounts from our Candy readers residing in or near the Mindanao State University-Marawi City, which is near where the encounters happened. You may send us a message via Facebook or e-mail them to us at candymagazineATgmailDOTcom.
What're you up to today? Submit your OOTD, fanfic, essay, school project, org event, a pic of your latest hobby, or anything you want to be posted on the Candy Bulletin page!
Why our high school barkada is the best?
Remembering our high school years entails quite a lot reminiscing of the things we all been through when we were younger. You’ve experience a lot of new things during those 4 wonderful years and did most of them with the few people you consider your barkada. And through a series of all the lunch breaks you had together, the walks you took on the way home, and taking the same classes, you never thought you’d survive, you have made your life’s greatest friends.
Here are some of the reasons why your high school barkada is the best:
1. You figured out early teenage life together. The transition one have undergone from being a kid to a teenager wasn’t easy. For a moment you are not sure whether you should have played with your friends during recess or you should have just sat down and ate your food because you were too old for games. But whatever it is you chose to do, having friends who were as clueless as you make everything feel easier because you know, deep down, you’d figure things out eventually. You just need good company.
2. They were with you during your “jeje“ days. I bet you have pictures taken with Camera360 and Retrica. You also have pictures edited using Pizap with embarrassing captions and you somehow kept some of them so you could have something to post online during their birthdays.
3. They know all your exes. They will never EVER forget the name of an ex-boyfriend, an ex-fling, an ex-crush, and an almost you had. They will remind you of your every questionable love decision but you’ll just laugh anyway while saying “Past is past”.
4. They never judge you. They have welcomed you to their lives when you thought jelly shoes and checkered polos were the bomb! They were quick to have told your teachers that you were not feeling well so you could go home when you really just needed to poop. You tell them every embarrassing story you have and were fine with it.
5. You can always count on them. From the moment you first fell in love and the moment you first had your heart broken, they were with you. They were with you the moment you lost a parent and at moments when you thought you had nothing. Through every break-up and breakthrough, they were there to be your support system.
6. They are your family. Your high school friend’s family is your own family’s extension. Their parents are like your own. Don’t you feel a little kilig whenever your friend’s parents call you “anak”? And then eventually calling them mama and papa became so natural? I felt that, all the time.
7. They will always be your home. They are your place of refuge and security, the place who offers you their hands when you feel lost and the place you run to when you need saving. No matter how much time and distance separate you, they will be the one’s that you always long for and they are the one’s that you will always return to.
You're gonna bend and break and then at some point in your life, you feel like you don't want to fall in love again.
Not because you're no longer capable of loving but because you're so afraid to get hurt again that you don't want to take a risk anymore. And you're gonna wake up one day and realize that you're not the same person as you were yesterday. The heart aches, heartbreaks, frustration, you'll see, those will transform your whole being into something better.
Honey, move forward. Let go off all the things that are not meant for you. Let go of all the people who hurt you and take you for granted. Don't be stuck feeling miserable.
And don't turn that love into hate when you resent someone for hurting you or for breaking your heart. Just wish them well and let them go. Welcome the possibility of a beautiful love that will come your way. You're worthy of love that you keep on giving to other people. Keep that in mind.
I wish you well and all the happiness. You deserve it.
Here we are — with rough hands entwined, damned hearts at peace, broken souls resting with ease —savoring each passing moment before we part ways...hoping things will turn out to be okay. Here we are — standing still, keeping our earnest desire and ardent passion for each other at bay — hoping the Universe will finally grant us of the day that we no longer have to pretend... that things will no longer have to end.
Here we are — with crooked smiles, lingering touch that will last for a while -- gathering all the remaining courage to set each other free. Wishing for the day that our hearts will no longer have to worry. Here we are letting each other go. Even though we both know that the future is uncertain. Even though we're unsure if our paths will cross once again.
My name is Vin Kolby Ty, I am 17 years old and I am 5'9 Feet tall, I live in Cebu City Philippines and I'm currently studying in a public school at Bulacao Community High School (BCHS) taking TVL track 'Bread and Pastry Production', I am also a freelance photographer based in Cebu City, I also love dancing and i even joined a dancing crew at our school and won our first dancing competition last November 2019 at an event of Titus Ph in Gaisano Grand Mall Cebu City. Being an Actor and a Model had always been my dream ever since i was a kid and I will try hard to achieve my dreams.
Hi, my sister sent me this link :)
I would like my vlog to be featured in Candy! I believe that if my vlog gets featured in Candy, I will be able to help more aspiring med students! I made this a Youtube vlog just like three weeks ago. So far, I have been receiving messages that they find my med school videos informative! My vlog focuses on med school tips :) So far, these are my content:
Check out the Med School Interview tips I have for UPCM, St. Luke’s, UERM, and ASMPH here: https://youtu.be/lnxqhIktcIM
Check out what’s in my Med Kit for ward works here: https://youtu.be/FbiyerNMkJ4
If you haven’t watched Hospital Playlist, let us tell you why you should watch it here: https://youtu.be/mDOcM-Jd1e8
Do you have any Med School Worries? Watch this! Candy Cutie Eljohn Yee might have answered it:
Wanna know more about UPCM Intarmed? Click here: https://youtu.be/XnKtPxQYIkg
Thank you! Hope we can both work together to inspire med students :)