1. How long have you been climbing mountains? Are you part of any mountaineering club?
Carina: Most of us joined school-based clubs. We started climbing during our college days.
Noelle: I joined UPM (University of the Philippines P Mountaineers) in 1998. That's when I started climbing.
2. How did you train for the Everest climb?
C: The project started in 2004 so aside from training in the country, we trained abroad. We went to India for the technical training, then New Zealand. After that, we had an actual expedition in Pakistan and China. After that we went to Everest base camp. Then we climbed Mt. Makiling. After a few months, we climbed Cho-oyo, the sixth highest mountain in the world!
3. How were you chosen for the team?
N: we were chosen based on 3 Cs: Commitment, Capability and Compatibility.
4. What challenges did you encounter during the training?
C: We had to look for financial and logistical support for the training. Of course, the environment is very different. Unlike Everest, we have no snow. The environment is very cold up there.
5. How does it feel to be the first Pinays and ASEAN women to summit Everest?
N: It makes us proud to be Filipino!
6. Do you consider yourself a strong girl? What makes a girl strong for you?
N: I think being a Filipina makes us strong. We share a strong bond with the other Filipinos we climbed with and the other women on the mountain. We drew strength from the sacrifices of our teammates and the other Filipinas who are working together, excelling in different fields and achieving a common goal of uplifting the Filipino spirit.
7. Any message for teens today?
N: With teamwork, unity, and a lot of prayer, nothing is impossible so just believe.
C: Keep up the positive energy and practice good values in life and you will achieve greater heights than Everest.
.~'* GRAB THE MAG! *'~.
Flip to page 81 for the My World section of your August issue of Candy magazine with Vanessa Hudgens on the cover!