Davao City Implements Strict 'District Clustering,' Hunger Games Comparisons Ensue
As the number of COVID-19 cases inch closer to 100 in Davao City, certain areas have been divided into district clusters, limiting the movement of food and medicine (FM) pass holders to essential establishments within their cluster. These stricter measures are in place to prevent the continuous spread of the virus, according to Mayor Sara Duterte. As of writing, Davao City has 92 recorded cases of COVID-19, with 16 deaths and 48 recoveries.
The system was implemented on April 20, with a total of six identified clusters:
- CLUSTER 1: Districts of Poblacion A and B, Talomo:
- CLUSTER 2: Agdao District
- CLUSTER 3: Buhangin District
- CLUSTER 4: Toril District
- CLUSTER 5: Districts of Calinan, Baguio, Marilog, Tugbok and some barangays of Paquibato
- CLUSTER 6: District of Bunawan and some barangays of Paquibato and the Island Garden City of Samal
The Davao City Police Office (DCPO) has also set up 22 checkpoints in the city, 12 of which are in identified hotspots Buhangin and Talomo districts. (via byahengdo30.com)
Following the announcement, netizens have taken to social media to share their reactions to the news. Some applauded the government's efforts and echoed their plea in asking citizens to follow the clustering, while others have shared that the system and its quick implementation limited their access to shops and groceries that carry their needs, or products more suited to their respective budgets.
Many were quick to note comparisons to The Hunger Games and even Game of Thrones. Check out these emblems created by Forbes Asia's 30 Under 30 Awardee, Breech Asher Harani.
SunStar Davao also reported the emergence of a Facebook group called Davao Cluster War (Tambal Kamingaw) and compiled their funniest posts here.
According to the City Government of Davao Facebook page, here are the rules for following the clustering system:
- The FM pass of residents of a barangay can only be used in the wet market/palengke, pharmacy and grocery stores inside their District Cluster. Residents cannot go out of their cluster unless they are ECQ exempted because of work
- The FM pass can only be used to travel to another cluster when the medicine prescribed by the Doctor is not available in their cluster
- Except for emergencies, the travel to a hospital outside of a resident's cluster shall be decided by the frontliner at the checkpoint. The same shall apply to those going to the bank
- District Clustering will be implemented in tandem with the FM pass coding
- FM pass cannot be used on a Sunday. FM pass cannot be used during curfew of 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Emergencies do not need an FM pass
As for the coding scheme which was implemented on April 18, FM passes with control numbers starting with numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 are only allowed to go out on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays while those control numbers starting with even numbers 0, 2, 4, 6, and 8 are only allowed to go out on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. (via SunStar, davaocity.gov.ph)
For the latest news and updates on COVID-19, check out reportr.world/covid-19.
What're you up to today? Submit your OOTD, fanfic, essay, school project, org event, a pic of your latest hobby, or anything you want to be posted on the Candy Bulletin page!
"Today, I Won"
I always caught feelings for someone, and hoped so much that one day there could a thing between the two of us. I'm usually the one that makes the effort to buy and/or make cute gifts, chats them every other day, and stays up all night with him.
When I was 16, my childhood crush suddenly came back into my life. We'd constantly send updates to each other, recommend favorite songs and talk even the most random things. He'd even text me as early as 6 to just greet me good morning almost everyday. I hoped so much that when I confessed, he suddenly stopped talking to me.
For short, he ghosted me. Those 6 months I spent talking to him, allotting my time for him, and staying up until 3 am for him - all gone in a simple confession. Although I had a few crushes before him, he's the only one that got me in real pain. It was the kind of pain that I never thought I'd experience. It was the kind of pain that I couldn't believe.
After 7 years (it happened back in 2017), I thought he came back into my life to stay, but I guess he's just one of the guys who distanced. I felt a complete loser that time. But during this quarantine, everything was different. I caught feelings for someone else, but he treated me with the best kindness yet.
It happened at 2 am, May 30, 2020, when I impulsively confessed my feelings through messaging him. After saying my feelings, he responded with genuine and kind words. We both even complimented each other. Although the feelings didn't reciprocate, I still found a connection that can't be replaced with any guy.
To my 16 year old self, here I am, 18 and happy. You may have felt that time was the biggest regret and loss, but I'm here to tell you, we won. Today, I won.
Why our high school barkada is the best?
Remembering our high school years entails quite a lot reminiscing of the things we all been through when we were younger. You’ve experience a lot of new things during those 4 wonderful years and did most of them with the few people you consider your barkada. And through a series of all the lunch breaks you had together, the walks you took on the way home, and taking the same classes, you never thought you’d survive, you have made your life’s greatest friends.
Here are some of the reasons why your high school barkada is the best:
1. You figured out early teenage life together. The transition one have undergone from being a kid to a teenager wasn’t easy. For a moment you are not sure whether you should have played with your friends during recess or you should have just sat down and ate your food because you were too old for games. But whatever it is you chose to do, having friends who were as clueless as you make everything feel easier because you know, deep down, you’d figure things out eventually. You just need good company.
2. They were with you during your “jeje“ days. I bet you have pictures taken with Camera360 and Retrica. You also have pictures edited using Pizap with embarrassing captions and you somehow kept some of them so you could have something to post online during their birthdays.
3. They know all your exes. They will never EVER forget the name of an ex-boyfriend, an ex-fling, an ex-crush, and an almost you had. They will remind you of your every questionable love decision but you’ll just laugh anyway while saying “Past is past”.
4. They never judge you. They have welcomed you to their lives when you thought jelly shoes and checkered polos were the bomb! They were quick to have told your teachers that you were not feeling well so you could go home when you really just needed to poop. You tell them every embarrassing story you have and were fine with it.
5. You can always count on them. From the moment you first fell in love and the moment you first had your heart broken, they were with you. They were with you the moment you lost a parent and at moments when you thought you had nothing. Through every break-up and breakthrough, they were there to be your support system.
6. They are your family. Your high school friend’s family is your own family’s extension. Their parents are like your own. Don’t you feel a little kilig whenever your friend’s parents call you “anak”? And then eventually calling them mama and papa became so natural? I felt that, all the time.
7. They will always be your home. They are your place of refuge and security, the place who offers you their hands when you feel lost and the place you run to when you need saving. No matter how much time and distance separate you, they will be the one’s that you always long for and they are the one’s that you will always return to.
You're gonna bend and break and then at some point in your life, you feel like you don't want to fall in love again.
Not because you're no longer capable of loving but because you're so afraid to get hurt again that you don't want to take a risk anymore. And you're gonna wake up one day and realize that you're not the same person as you were yesterday. The heart aches, heartbreaks, frustration, you'll see, those will transform your whole being into something better.
Honey, move forward. Let go off all the things that are not meant for you. Let go of all the people who hurt you and take you for granted. Don't be stuck feeling miserable.
And don't turn that love into hate when you resent someone for hurting you or for breaking your heart. Just wish them well and let them go. Welcome the possibility of a beautiful love that will come your way. You're worthy of love that you keep on giving to other people. Keep that in mind.
I wish you well and all the happiness. You deserve it.
Here we are — with rough hands entwined, damned hearts at peace, broken souls resting with ease —savoring each passing moment before we part ways...hoping things will turn out to be okay. Here we are — standing still, keeping our earnest desire and ardent passion for each other at bay — hoping the Universe will finally grant us of the day that we no longer have to pretend... that things will no longer have to end.
Here we are — with crooked smiles, lingering touch that will last for a while -- gathering all the remaining courage to set each other free. Wishing for the day that our hearts will no longer have to worry. Here we are letting each other go. Even though we both know that the future is uncertain. Even though we're unsure if our paths will cross once again.