2014 in Hashtags: A Rundown of This Year's Highlights
Can you believe the year is almost over? Looking back it seems like so much has happened in the last 12 months— new albums, new movies, awesome concerts, and more!
Now that 2014 is coming to an end, let’s take a look at some of the top highlights, through the many hashtags we used this year. There are just a few of so many parts of an eventful year, but check out these notable highlights of the year that we rounded up!
In TV & Movies:
1. #TFIOS- Starting off this list is one of the sweetest, most heartwarming, and yet saddest films ever: The Fault in Our Stars! The perfect relationship between Hazel Grace and Augustus, and their struggles with cancer, made for such a beautiful and unforgettable story! Let’s not forget how 2014 really was the rise of more tearjerking love stories— like If I Stay and Begin Again— and of course movie renditions of well-loved YA novels— Divergent and Mockingjay, anyone?
2. #ShesDatingTheGangster- Another book-to-movie teen romance, but this time, it’s local! We laughed and cried along with Athena and Kenji in this love story (come on who didn’t love #KathNiel in this Wattpad story turned film?). We’re looking forward to more of our favorite teen love team, especially with Pangako Sa’yo coming soon too!
3. #HIMYMFinale- How I Met Your Mother was definitely a well-loved TV show these past years, and the finale was one of those event we were waiting for for so long, and yet didn’t want to happen! We fell in love with Robin and Barney, Marshall and Lily and Ted and Tracy, and we were all over Twitter and Facebook at that time! This year maked the end of a lot of shows we couldn’t bear to say goodbye to, like True Blood, The Carrie Diaries, and Sam and Cat.
1. #TS1989- Our girl Taylor Swift really can call 2014 her year! She placed herself on the top charts from “Shake it Off” to “Black Space." We were all waiting for this album for a while and when it came out it was everything we wanted and more!
2. #GirlPower- Although the Spice Girls coined this term back in the '90s, 2014 was full of music that showed how strong women really are! From songs about loving and empowering yourself, like Meghan Trainor’s “All About That Bass” and Beyonce’s “Pretty Hurts”, to strong powerhouse female performers who made big this year, like Ariana Grande and Izzy Azalea!
3. #BritishInvasion- With the popularity of a lot of British bands and singers this year, you cannot deny that the #BritishInvasion was a real trend! From One Direction, to the Vamps, torock bands like Bastille and even solo artists like Ed Sheeran. We’re definitely excited for some of these British boys to come to Manila in 2015 (…if we can still get tickets, *sigh*, 1D and Ed Sheeran…)
1. #RedTourMNL- Seeing Taylor Swift Live? Absolutely priceless! 2014 is going down in history as the best year ever, if just for that alone! She was better than we ever imagined and she really loved it here in the Philippines (the feeling was definitely mutual!).
2.#CandyFair2014- Of course the #CandyFair2014 is one of our highlights of the year! It was bigger and better than ever before and all our favorite cuties and celebrities (*ehem* Enrique Gil, James Reid, Elmo Magalona, etc!) were there to party with us! It was just really an awesome day of fun and festivities for all the Candy Girls!
3.#FIFAWordCup2014- The entire world was united to watch the world’s favorite sport (football) this year for the FIFA World Cup! Everyone was keeping track of game schedules and waking up really early just to watch on TV! In the end, Germany really showed how strong their team was and how they really deserved to win the trophy!
In Technology & Social Media:
1.#Iphone6- When you thought it couldn’t get any better, Apple went out and showed us it could! 2014 marks a whole year of innovation and as one of the frontrunners in technology, the Iphone went and one upped itself with the #Iphone6Plus! Everyone online really made a huge deal about this brand new phone (plus let’s not forget about all the funny #bendgate memes!).
2. #KimKHollywood- Together with Flappy Bird and 2048, cellphone app games were all the rage in 2014. No one can ever forget about how Kim Kardashian released her own game and how thousands and thousands of people downloaded and played it (and actually kind of got obsessed with it).
3. #ALSIceBucketChallenge- Remember when people were dumping buckets of ice water on their heads to spread awareness about ALS Disease? This was a brilliant campaign and really informed a lot of people about the on-going problem. Even celebrities were getting into the ice bucket challenge (we’re sure a lot of you did too!) and this was proof of how powerful the Internet really is!
Now as we bid goodbye to 2014, we’ll have to keep a look out on what new trends will come in 2015! Happy New Year, Candy Girls!
What're you up to today? Submit your OOTD, fanfic, essay, school project, org event, a pic of your latest hobby, or anything you want to be posted on the Candy Bulletin page!
Here's my two cents on the letter, call for help of our medical frontliners. Let’s hear what our healthcare workers have to say and try to understand it from their point of view, they have every right to criticize how this medical crisis is being handled by the government... after all, they're the experts on the topic. Though we see the frontliners as heroes in our eyes, the lack of concrete plans from the government to combat COVID-19 makes them feel otherwise. Healthcare workers are already starting to voice out how they feel as though they are being sacrificed as they follow through their sworn oath. We wouldn’t send our soldiers to war unarmed and without a concrete plan; the same should be expected for our frontliners. How can we send them to battle without proper gear? Why is there still a debate on whether mass testing is needed or not when the experts on that field continuously insist its importance in flattening the curve? Why is this still not the priority when it’s literally our lives on the line? It’s not like the medical experts demanding for mass testing are just stating their opinion about this mindlessly, they studied this laboriously. Make them feel heard so that all the sacrifices that they’re doing and all the deaths of their colleagues are not in vain. More than the words of praises, what our medical professionals truly need right now is TANGIBLE support. Here is to hoping they get that soon. @errren.22
*Minor edits have been made for clarity
Here is a photograph taken yesterday from the photo shoot I did in our house. ? I really love dressing up and being dolled up, it makes me feel great and confident of who I am ?
I was actually hesitant to post these pictures of mine. My sister eveb asked me to change my Facebook Profile Picture and it took me hours to decide if I should. But, I realized that this is me, the real me. I should be confident of my body and of who I really am.
At the end of the day, I dress up not for other people but for myself ? To all the ladies out there and even gentlemen who are taking a second to think if they should post their pictures, worried about what will others say their body, remember that we just need to be just ourselves. Be confident and let us support each other ? Let us be friends! IG: @romynaaaaaaa_
They say time heals all wounds, but it has been ages - is heartbreak exempted?
I have forgotten when was the last time we shared a smile - the last time when I saw the glow in your eyes and the last time when you whispered an I love you to me. I have forgotten when, but here I am - writing to you again.
I do not know if you will read this or you will just add this one to my proses and poems that you left unread, but you see, I am still hoping. I am mailing the pain of us to the gods out there - hoping they can take the pain away. I should have gotten over you, but instead of forgetting and accepting our ending, I am writing about us in tissue sheets, carving about us on trees, telling about us on the back of my journals, hoping that a thousand or a million write ups about us, can make me forget about what happened.
I am writing, waiting for the point where I can no longer write anymore, for I have none to tell - but when? I have nothing in me anymore, but the memories of us - and no matter how hard I try put those to its own grave, the memories grow back like lilies in the swamp - painful and beautiful at the same time.
No matter how hard I try to silence those and put it at the back of my mind, those ring back, playing like the favorite song we used to listen. They say heartbreaks turn into poetry and that is what happening to us - but poetry should be dulcet and dreamy, why does ours sound like pain and agony? They say time heals all wounds, but it has been ages - is heartbreak exempted? Darling, I guess not.
Bored this quarantine? Ever heard of the #chloetingchallenge? Since you got a lot of time in your hands, why not try Chloe Ting's workouts for free? YES! You heard it right. For FREE!
Aside from the fact that you can do it comfortably inside of your home, it doesn't require any equipment. You just need to be present! If you don't have any yoga mat, you can use a towel instead. For weights you can just use your body weight or water bottles.
Don't worry, based on my personal experience (and for others who already tried it) it's quiet effective. Tho the 2 Weeks Shred is a bit repetitive but some of the programs are not. If you are already curious about Chloe's programs, here's the link: https://www.chloeting.com/program/