11 Ways To Ace Your Exams
There’s at least one in every class. While everyone’s fingers are crossed, waiting in absolute terror for the results of a particularly nasty math quiz, they’re the kids everyone prays their scores would be. They’re those seemingly special breed of people whose report cards aren’t hidden from their parents for one simple reason--they’ve got nothing to hide. In fact, they want to show it. Yes, you know who I’m talking about. They’re the A students, the smarties, the geniuses- or whatever other name you’d like to call them. And pretty soon, all their secrets for their high exam results will be revealed.
- Listen to the teachers. Look, that interesting little bit of news about Taylor Lautner’s abs can wait, okay? I know it’s hard to concentrate when your seatmate is whispering into your ears such life altering news, but your teacher might be saying something important that would come up in the test, which most probably has absolutely nothing to do with Mr. Lautner.
- Know the coverage. As obvious as it may sound, knowing the coverage is an important detail that is easily overlooked. An unfortunate student has lost sleep, pouring over the wrong chapter, and afterwards hurling her book in frustration upon learning that of the twenty chapters she read; only one will come out.
- Don’t cram. Ah yes. This is the curse of virtually all students. We cannot count how many innocent test takers have fallen prey to this habit called cramming. (Yours truly included.) A test due one week from now? Start studying already! Trust me, you tell yourself it won’t, but it will. The work will just keep piling and piling ‘til you realize that you don’t know where to begin, and that you’re buried in two hundred pounds of papers. Take it from me; that is not a pretty sight.
- Know your weaknesses and strengths. Unless you are Batman, Phineas, or Optimus Prime, you fall under the category of normal human beings. I hate to break it to you, but as your average joe, you’re most likely not perfect. Therefore, it is important to know where your strengths and weaknesses lie. What subject are you good at? At the same time, what subjects don’t you break a single sweat over? As they say, knowing is half the battle.
- Get help. Which leads us to the other half of the battle. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses is next to useless unless you do something about it. Don’t be afraid to seek help in those topics that make your nose bleed. Ask teachers, parents and friends. Don’t be embarrassed of hiring a tutor. You could even organize study groups, and you and your friends can bond over Algebra, History, Chemistry, and what not.
- Set aside time to study. It is a fact that there are only twenty four hours in a day. I know that Facebook or Gossip Girl or hanging out with friends or stalking your crush is an integral part of every teenage girl’s life. But without setting aside time to study, these other activities, will eat your study time. So set aside time to study each day.
- Plan your study. You’ve set aside time to study, but now you got to plan it. Make an outline of the things you have to study, so that you can accomplish more. If you’ve set aside one hour, then space your topics in such a way that it fits in an hour. That way, you study smart.
- Focus. Staring blankly at Jose Rizal’s Noli Me Tangere for two hours, with your mind focussed solely on how it should have been Chuck and Blair just won’t cut it. You have to set your mind to it. It’s hard, but with a little perseverance, you’ll get the hang of it. Start by turning off the television, your cellphone, and yes, even Facebook when you are studying. Find an environment that is conducive for learning,comfortable and has good lighting. (It would be useless if you damage your eyes and are virtually blind when taking the test)
- Absorb. Although we often thank the heavens for the invention of multiple choice type tests, there still exists their scarier test brethren- essays. And this type of test requires that you have an understanding of the question, not just some random names and dates floating about aimlessly in your head.
- Get enough sleep. The zombies in Plants Vs. Zombies were only cute in the confines of your PC screen. You wouldn’t want to look like that on the day of your test. You’re face would scare away the good marks. Seriously though, your mind works better when your fully awake, so getting some good old fashioned beauty sleep is good not just for your complexion, but also for your test. Don’t forget to relax too. Wrinkles from stress would scare away even the zombies.
- Have fun. Make the most out of your study time and enjoy it with your Cream-O Cakewich.
So are you ready to ace that those exams?
What're you up to today? Submit your OOTD, fanfic, essay, school project, org event, a pic of your latest hobby, or anything you want to be posted on the Candy Bulletin page!
To the Person Who Does Not Know Any 1D Song
By: CJ Reyno
Never in my wildest dream I imagined to meet someone who does not know a single One Direction song or who does not even know, Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, Niall Horan, and err… Zayn Malik. How did you spend your teenagehood without listening to their songs? The disrespect to my #StyPayHorLikSon. My initial reaction, Vas Happenin’?
Since I was 12 years old, that was way back on 2012, One Direction songs have been my official life soundtrip, my go-to songs whenever I feel happy, sad, mad, excited, and etch. I can still remember how people went crazy just to attend their concert here in the Philippines. I must admit, I was one of those. LOL. The group was also dubbed as, “The Biggest Boyband in the World”. They were an era. You really left me in awe when you told me that you do not know a single One Direction song. Their songs are gold. But I was a little hopeful when a new messaged popped up on our conversation, “Hey I know one, Make You Beautiful”.
You do not know how my world collapsed after reading your message. I would like to say that I appreciate the effort, thanks, but they do not have a song entitled, Make You Beautiful, because it is, What Makes You Beautiful. I tried to explain but you said that they are just the same. (Tip: Never fight with a Directioner when it comes to this because we will not let our guards down). No! They are not the same. How can you make this big mistake? LOL. What Makes You Beautiful is One Direction’s debut song. Almost everyone knows this, “you’re insecure, don’t know what for,” ring a bell? The music video of this surpassed 1 billion views on Youtube. On my 21 years of existence, you are the very first person who told me this “I-Thought-It-Was-A-Joke-But-You-Are-Serious” statement.
As a persuasive fangirl, I thought to myself that I should make you appreciate their music, that you should know that it is What Makes You Beautiful, not Make You Beautiful. The group may be in hiatus but their music is and will always remain superior. You are hard-headed lad. We even when to the point where you challenged me to treat so I can make you watch their music video. Am I even surprised that I agreed to this? HAHA. I feel like an agent trying to persuade her customer to buy a property on our company. You do not know how happy I was when you sent me your video listening to What Makes You Beautiful. I felt like I successfully closed a deal with my client. Not to exaggerate but I really jumped because of happiness after watching your video. It was the first message I checked that morning. Thank you for your effort, so much appreciated. Funny how our conversation starts with your innocence on One Direction until it goes deeper and last longer. Up All Nigh conversations which turned to almost Midnight Memories. Ironic how a Directioner had developed an admiration on someone who dislikes her favorite boys? Just like One Direction’s song, Change My Mind, “Never felt like this before. Are we friends or are we more?” I guess, like Liam’s line on Love You Goodbye, “It's inevitable everything that's good comes to an end. It's impossible to know if after this we can still be friends.”
I was happy that I made you listen to One Direction. At least I made you appreciate and made you aware that there is a song called, What Makes You Beautiful, not Make You Beautiful. I am happy that you already found your Girl Almighty. Wish me luck on finding my Summer Love. xoxo, Your Directioner friend
Here's a fan art that I made for Lee Joo Young of Itaewon class! I've been making digital illustration since last year and I'm happy that I was able to see my improvements. I'm also happy to see people's reactions and support for my craft even though all of it are made through my phone (adobe illustrator) only ????. You don't actually have to use expensive or complicated medium as long as you know how to be creative and like what you're doing, then you can do it. ????