2022 saw the revival of vivid, kitschy fashion trends like Barbiecore, Coconut Girl, and Y2K. For the first few days of 2023, however, the internet has been favoring more chic and simple pieces that will stand the test of time. Case in point: The Dark Academia aesthetic has taken over every social media platform, including your Gen Z style icons’ Instagram feeds! Even if you’re not a big fan of fashion trends, this preppy and understated aesthetic will still elevate your weekly lineup! For some style inspo, check out some celeb and influencer style pegs below:
8 Chic Dark Academia Outfits We're Copying From Gen Z Celebs & Influencers
1. Pair your favorite white button-down with a mini skirt and a dark necktie for that uniform-esque OOTD. So timeless!
2. The Dark Academia aesthetic wouldn’t be complete without argyle vests. If you’re not sure how to style them, just layer it over a plain long-sleeved shirt like Blythe.
3. Love co-ords? Try a printed tonal set with chunky loafers to inject that Dark Academia flair.
4. On chilly days, wear a dark sweater with white capri pants and slip-ons for visual contrast. Keep your look simple with minimal makeup and a dainty shoulder bag.
5. Every now and then, swap out your usual denim for classy trousers. They go perfectly with simple ribbed tops!
6. Throw on an oversized coat over a crop top and a short skirt to add extra coverage. This easy-breezy combo is a great alternative for schools with strict dress codes!
7. Go all-out prep school by wearing Mary Jane platforms with white ankle-length socks. Cap off your ensemble with an ultra-cozy knit sweater.
8. We love this low-key twinning fits from the Gan sisters! As Ciara channels cool-girl in a leather jacket and a knife-pleated skirt, Bianca sticks to smart staples in earth-toned hues.