From Our Readers: How to Stay Motivated in College
Doing well in college doesn't always mean you have to be one of the top students or have the highest grades. By doing simple things like having a good routine, respecting people, and enjoying classes are just ways on how to do well. Here are some tips that will help you get through every semester:
- Pray before starting the day. It's important to thank God for waking you up and giving you blessings. Praying is a good way to ask God for guide.
- Always think of your parents. Always appreciate your parents and their hard work. Your parents are doing everything for you. It's fair enough to say you should do everything for them as well so they won't feel like they're working hard for nothing. Make them proud.
- Enjoy school. You'll never succeed if you don't love what you're doing. Always have passion to try and discover new things. It won't be easy but it's always worth the high.
- Do your best. Always give your best when it comes to doing activities. One example is not leaving a blank space on a test. Always leave something behind even though you don't know the right answer. You may never know, maybe it's the right answer!
- Never cheat. It's better to get low scores as long as your conscience is clean. Trust God and yourself in terms of answering and doing things. God will guide you through but the hard work will come from you.
- Never compare. Do remember that we're all different. Never compare your work or your grades to everybody else's because for sure, it'll be different or even better. Comparing yourself to others will hinder your development. Just focus on your goal.
- Stay calm. If you failed at something, stay calm and move on. There's no use of thinking about it for a long period of time. It'll just grab your focus away. Know what you did wrong so you can do it right the next time.
- Have other fields of interest. Don't just focus on your academics. Being part of an interest club is a good way to refresh your mind from studying all day. It's also a good way to avoid anxiety. With other fields of interest, your attention isn't focused on academics itself. At least this way, you won't have to feel so bad about failing one quiz because you're expecting better things.
- Always maintain good attitude. Good grades don't matter if you don't have the right attitude. Don't feel bad for people who succeed. You won't lose anything by supporting others. It's their thing and you have your own thing. Be unique.
- Be yourself. Being one's self attracts real friends. Never try to be another person. Why try to be somebody else if God gave you the chance to be you? As Confucius said, "Rather than caring about whether or not you are known, strive to be worth knowing."