Why K-Beauty Addiction Is Real, According to a Non-Beauty Girl
K-beauty—it's everywhere! It's in our malls, on our laptop screens, and it has even made its way into our very own beauty arsenal. While K-beauty can be daunting at first—especially for the non-beauty girl—what with all the skin care steps (do we really have to do all *10*?), weird-sounding products (BB, CC, and DD creams, for example), and exotic ingredients (snail mucin, anyone?), it's easy to get overwhelmed and a little intimidated by the big colorful world that is K-Beauty. But despite it all, it has an allure that is impossible to miss and can even be downright addicting. Here's why!
K-Beauty allows you to play and experiment with your beauty routine.
For girls who are hesitant to dive into the world of beauty, K-Beauty offers up a ton of interesting and wacky products that would make the journey less like work and more like play. Brave girls out there might even try products with the wackiest ingredients—from snail mucin to pig collagen! Not only are the ingredients they use interesting, their products are, too! Take a look at Emma Stone's Golden Globes beauty prep. The beauty benefits of this quirky lip mask may not be enough to pique your interest and make you try one, but the curiosity of how weird or wacky it's going to look on you will.
Although K-beauty may be a little bit more high maintenance compared to other trends, it gives more emphasis on enhancing your best features and not masking your natural look, which is very important for girls who are not really into beauty to begin with. Plus, the great skin that you get afterwards is just collateral beauty any girl would kill for.
Gone are the days when plakado brows are the thing.
With the no-makeup makeup look taking off, Korean beauty has got the whole trend locked down. Just look at the typical Korean beauty look for starters: fresh, dewy skin; natural eyebrows; and a subtle flush on the lips and cheeks. So for a girl who isn't really into makeup and cannot tell the difference between BB cream and CC cream (aren't they just both creams?), a healthy natural look is the way to go! Let's not forget when they started coming out with products that boast of skin care and makeup in one generous tube of product. For a non-beauty girl, having a skin care regimen and a makeup routine is already too much work, so merging skin care and makeup? That's pure genius! Great skin plus an on-point beauty look with just a couple of products? You have to see why K-beauty can be addictive for us, right?
No fuss and super adorable, too!
Apart from all the great beauty benefits K-Beauty has #blessed us with, it doesn't hurt that the packaging of their products is super adorable, too! Non-beauty girls like me may not be able to tell the purpose of a purple concealer from an orange one, but given that kawaii packaging, oh I'd totally save up for these cute products in a heartbeat!
They make you feel closer to your fave K-drama star.
Last but definitely not the least, K-Beauty trends can turn into an addiction because they make you feel *that much* closer to your fave K-drama star or even your fave oppa! How? By using the same products they do, of course! After all, if you're a big K-drama fan, you'll naturally gravitate towards the K-Beauty aesthetic. Channel your inner Lee Sung Kyung or Song Hye Kyo by using their signature lippie! Once you've got their look down, you'll be ready to charm your way into oppa's heart in no time!
So welcome to the K-Beauty club! You don't have to be addicted to Korean culture to appreciate what K-Beauty can do nor do you have to be obsessed with beauty to love it. And while it might not be everyone's cup of tea, you can be sure that it's now a mainstay and dare we say—an addiction for many beauty and non-beauty girls alike.
Got an opinion on beauty trends even if you're a non-beauty girl? Let us know and we just might publish your thoughts in this space! Tweet us @candymagdotcom or submit your work through Candy Feels.
What're you up to today? Submit your OOTD, fanfic, essay, school project, org event, a pic of your latest hobby, or anything you want to be posted on the Candy Bulletin page!
"Today, I Won"
I always caught feelings for someone, and hoped so much that one day there could a thing between the two of us. I'm usually the one that makes the effort to buy and/or make cute gifts, chats them every other day, and stays up all night with him.
When I was 16, my childhood crush suddenly came back into my life. We'd constantly send updates to each other, recommend favorite songs and talk even the most random things. He'd even text me as early as 6 to just greet me good morning almost everyday. I hoped so much that when I confessed, he suddenly stopped talking to me.
For short, he ghosted me. Those 6 months I spent talking to him, allotting my time for him, and staying up until 3 am for him - all gone in a simple confession. Although I had a few crushes before him, he's the only one that got me in real pain. It was the kind of pain that I never thought I'd experience. It was the kind of pain that I couldn't believe.
After 7 years (it happened back in 2017), I thought he came back into my life to stay, but I guess he's just one of the guys who distanced. I felt a complete loser that time. But during this quarantine, everything was different. I caught feelings for someone else, but he treated me with the best kindness yet.
It happened at 2 am, May 30, 2020, when I impulsively confessed my feelings through messaging him. After saying my feelings, he responded with genuine and kind words. We both even complimented each other. Although the feelings didn't reciprocate, I still found a connection that can't be replaced with any guy.
To my 16 year old self, here I am, 18 and happy. You may have felt that time was the biggest regret and loss, but I'm here to tell you, we won. Today, I won.
Why our high school barkada is the best?
Remembering our high school years entails quite a lot reminiscing of the things we all been through when we were younger. You’ve experience a lot of new things during those 4 wonderful years and did most of them with the few people you consider your barkada. And through a series of all the lunch breaks you had together, the walks you took on the way home, and taking the same classes, you never thought you’d survive, you have made your life’s greatest friends.
Here are some of the reasons why your high school barkada is the best:
1. You figured out early teenage life together. The transition one have undergone from being a kid to a teenager wasn’t easy. For a moment you are not sure whether you should have played with your friends during recess or you should have just sat down and ate your food because you were too old for games. But whatever it is you chose to do, having friends who were as clueless as you make everything feel easier because you know, deep down, you’d figure things out eventually. You just need good company.
2. They were with you during your “jeje“ days. I bet you have pictures taken with Camera360 and Retrica. You also have pictures edited using Pizap with embarrassing captions and you somehow kept some of them so you could have something to post online during their birthdays.
3. They know all your exes. They will never EVER forget the name of an ex-boyfriend, an ex-fling, an ex-crush, and an almost you had. They will remind you of your every questionable love decision but you’ll just laugh anyway while saying “Past is past”.
4. They never judge you. They have welcomed you to their lives when you thought jelly shoes and checkered polos were the bomb! They were quick to have told your teachers that you were not feeling well so you could go home when you really just needed to poop. You tell them every embarrassing story you have and were fine with it.
5. You can always count on them. From the moment you first fell in love and the moment you first had your heart broken, they were with you. They were with you the moment you lost a parent and at moments when you thought you had nothing. Through every break-up and breakthrough, they were there to be your support system.
6. They are your family. Your high school friend’s family is your own family’s extension. Their parents are like your own. Don’t you feel a little kilig whenever your friend’s parents call you “anak”? And then eventually calling them mama and papa became so natural? I felt that, all the time.
7. They will always be your home. They are your place of refuge and security, the place who offers you their hands when you feel lost and the place you run to when you need saving. No matter how much time and distance separate you, they will be the one’s that you always long for and they are the one’s that you will always return to.
You're gonna bend and break and then at some point in your life, you feel like you don't want to fall in love again.
Not because you're no longer capable of loving but because you're so afraid to get hurt again that you don't want to take a risk anymore. And you're gonna wake up one day and realize that you're not the same person as you were yesterday. The heart aches, heartbreaks, frustration, you'll see, those will transform your whole being into something better.
Honey, move forward. Let go off all the things that are not meant for you. Let go of all the people who hurt you and take you for granted. Don't be stuck feeling miserable.
And don't turn that love into hate when you resent someone for hurting you or for breaking your heart. Just wish them well and let them go. Welcome the possibility of a beautiful love that will come your way. You're worthy of love that you keep on giving to other people. Keep that in mind.
I wish you well and all the happiness. You deserve it.
Here we are — with rough hands entwined, damned hearts at peace, broken souls resting with ease —savoring each passing moment before we part ways...hoping things will turn out to be okay. Here we are — standing still, keeping our earnest desire and ardent passion for each other at bay — hoping the Universe will finally grant us of the day that we no longer have to pretend... that things will no longer have to end.
Here we are — with crooked smiles, lingering touch that will last for a while -- gathering all the remaining courage to set each other free. Wishing for the day that our hearts will no longer have to worry. Here we are letting each other go. Even though we both know that the future is uncertain. Even though we're unsure if our paths will cross once again.