16 Things We Learned From The First #CandyWeekendWorkshop
Last April 23, Candy Girls came over to BGC in their best #OOTDs for a weekend full of beauty tips, skin care advice, and phone-tography hacks together with models Akiko Abad and Kaila Estrada while surrounded by Costa Coffee's warm ambiance and aromatic drinks.
Here are a few things we learned that day and we’d love to share with those of you who weren’t able to join us!
- Contrary to popular belief, your skin tone isn't either just "fair" or "dark." There are actually 3 types: neutral, cool, and warm. To decipher which one you fall under, check your wrist's veins. If the colors range from purple to blue, you're a cool kid. If they're yellow going blue, you're a warm wonder. And if you're a mix of blue and green, you're a natural neutral.
- Each color of concealer corresponds to its own type of "healing." If you have red blemishes or pimples, the green kind is great. If you have dark circles under your eyes, the salmon one is your savior. If you need to mute yellow areas in your t-zone, the lilac lets you do this. And if you have dark spots that need brightening, the orange version always has your back (and every other not-too light area too!)
- Always apply lip balm before lipstick. Wearing matte lippies in a tropical country will lead to chapped and cracking lips. So wear lip balm before bed and let the night moisturize your smackers for soft, plump ones in the morning.
- BB cream is your new bae. It doubles as everyday foundation, moisturizer, and sunscreen for maximum protection against the scorching summer heat. Thankfully, our friends at Belo also introduced us to their very own BB cream which is infused with SPF 50, tone-correcting serum, kojic acid, and tranexamic acid so our skin can stay gorgeous and glowing all day long.
On skin care
- 1. Always wear sunscreen. At night, a good moisturizer or face mask (Kaila recommends a homemade honey and cinnamon mask) will be your best friend. Then in the morning, slap on a generous amount of sunscreen before getting into your daily grind.
- Say goodbye to deep fried food. Fries every once in a while is okay, but indulging in oily foods should only be a cheat day sort of thing. Chips, fast food, and other fatty alternatives will increase the oil on your skin, therefore giving way to an impending breakout.
- Use a toner. No matter how sleepy or lazy you're feeling, this should be a crucial part of your nighttime routine. This water-based product will deeply cleanse and eradicate any excess dirt or oil invisible to the naked eye.
- Drink lots of water. Keeping hydrated is imperative especially now that the heat glares at the country with the fury of a thousand suns. Gulping down some H2O will help flush out toxins and ensure your skin doesn't dry up.
On taking the perfect flat lay.
- Utilize negative space. Take the photo from above and make sure it doesn't look too crowded. This gives your photo a clean and visually pleasing aesthetic.
- Find the perfect lighting. Taking a good flat lay is no walk in the park. In fact, Akiko even brought a table outside her house just to get that bright, natural lighting that keeps away pesky shadows from the picture. So move around and discover what time of day works best for your pics.
- Don't be embarrassed of the process. If you need to stand on a chair in a public restaurant just to get that beautiful aerial-view of your brunch, then do it! What lasts won't come easy, and what's easy won't last. So if you want that chipotle rice and lemongrass spring chicken to be your Instagram legacy, then perch on that chair—tall and proud—and take those 15 shots with a proud smile to boot.
- Just have fun with it. You don't need a meticulously streamlined structure when you arrange your flat lay's components. Just mess it around and play with the angles. The first picture is never the best, so don't stress it and design the look to your liking.
On taking the best selfie.
- Find your angle. People may poke fun at Ariana Grande for always trying to model her left side, but the girl knows what she's doing! Get in front of a mirror one day and just move your head until you find that perfect side. It may seem ridiculous, but trust us, a good angle is what makes a good selfie.
- Use your hands. They're perfect props! Whether they're curled under your chin, resting against your lips, or simply draped across your cheek, showing off your dainty fingers and that tres chic manicure can really spruce up your photo.
- Mind your background. Kaila recommends a solid wall because it highlights your assets and accessories more clearly. But if you want to get creative, you can also opt to use nature sceneries or fun locations as your backdrop. Plus points if you're outdoors so you can score some good ol' natural lighting.
- Smize! Tyra Banks swears by this look. Smiling with your eyes (which basically means you're going to imagine actually smiling except without your mouth) gives your selfie a more edgy and high-fashion aura. Worried you won't pull it off like the pros? Remember: You don't need to be America's Next Top Model to pose like one.
What're you up to today? Submit your OOTD, fanfic, essay, school project, org event, a pic of your latest hobby, or anything you want to be posted on the Candy Bulletin page!
Hello everyone! I would like to introduce my little passion project I started exactly a month ago — VITAP0PS is my small indie art shop giving you a clean, minimal and vintage ~vibe~ stuff. It will really mean a lot to me if we can connect through my art. Bonus if you're into Hiligaynon slangs. I'll see you there! site: msha.ke/shovitap0ps instagram/pinterest: shopvitap0ps artist: vitap0ps
Hello, I'm Isabel and I'm a foodie from the South. I love trying out new dishes and pastries in the Metro while I ask myself if it's worth the hype. During this pandemic, I've decided to keep my foodie dreams alive by supporting my friends and small food businesses.
Aside from ordering from them, I've also created my own food blog via Instagram to express my thoughts and positive reviews about them to somehow help spread the word of their food and how other people should try it. At the end of the day, we are all helping one another through this difficult time by having multiple coping mechanisms - others to cook or bake while I write a review about what I eat.
Check out my food blog on Instagram @perdiviews and feel free to send me a message so I can collaborate with you soon!
It's not making sense. Maybe, it is. Everything is so blurry and vague. You can't seem to fathom what's happening. You're lost and searching- searching for the meaning behind what ifs and what could have beens. But life, we give meaning to life as if it's a beautiful paradise. Indeed it is.
But why we feel so gloomy, so empty? It seems like no light is passing through our soul. We're wounded. Hoping for healing. That's because, we're living. We celebrate life but we also fight for it. You feel all the pain, because you're living. You're not just alive, you're living. You can make it through all the storm and darkness. Wishing you well, Marj.
I was, but I am not. Desperately, I am trying to reach you – my hope. I am in this particular space in my own constructed world where doubts and frustrations recur. Emphasizing how scared I am being here, I never explored this area before. I was always in those places filled with benevolence, hope shining like the light the sun and the moon possess. And I didn’t have any plans to visit a ‘dark’ place, as how I described it then. But, as funny as how my world suddenly flipped, I am now here, completely lost with monsters persuading me to go insane.
How did I end up here? I can’t logically tell you the answer for that, but I guess, I know when. It started when I had to consider what college course do I want to pursue. Well, if you want to ask what ambition had occurred in my mind when I was young – which is usually the case in terms of life when you were like 7-year-old young - it was definitely being a doctor. I’d thought about wearing a medical coat with a stethoscope around my neck, ready to cure people from their illnesses. It was actually stuck in my mind for so long I almost thought that I was sure of it, yet, as a particular song yields, almost was never really enough and still, it is and will never be.
When I realized that such a perspective was slowly draining me, I tried my best to stand tough. I convinced myself that this was just temporary, that I could think of a way out of this. “There’s still plenty of time,” I once convinced myself. However, my environment demonstrated the contrary: I felt like I was completely out of time.
I was there when my classmates were happily talking about that ‘dream course’ they wish to take in their ‘dream university.’ I was there when my family was suggesting the thought of using my ‘suitable’ speaking voice for broadcasting and voice acting purposes. I was there when my teacher was convincing me that Education suited me the best. That ‘Stand tough!’ aura I used to own back then, suddenly transformed into ‘I give up!’ state, slowly destroying my being. And now, I am here in this space where doubts and frustrations are filling my former enthusiastic self. I need help.
I know, at this point, some of you may never consider me ‘fatal’ because, as you’re reading this, you may judge that I still have the ability to transform my thoughts into words that can be read, so that ‘automatically’ falls into the aspect of complete sanity. No, because I will never tell everything to you in the first place if I still have the urge to stand like I used to, relative to my belief that speaking up through writing is the best way to attract help.
When you look at the photo of mine above, you may say that I was okay. That I was successful. That I was never losing myself. Yes, I was. But, think about what happened days after that was taken and the message of this passage you started reading minutes before, do you think I am still the same girl smiling in the photo? I hope I will be or better yet, improve if the world will permit me. But, now I’m sure – I’m not the same.
LIFE ADVICE YOU NEED TO HEAR WHILE YOURE STILL YOUNG
This blog is dedicated to all teens out there struggling in determining what they really want in their life or if you simply want a glow up. And since were still facing a pandemic, I think this is also a season where everyone is re-thinking about their lives. So, I hope these advices might help you.
Tip #1. TAKE RISK - since most of you are still young, I advice you to take your biggest risk. Whether it may be taking the course you want, a skill you want to acquire or just simply taking the risk to throw away your emotional baggage from your childhood. While you're still young, you have very little to lose. You dont have that much commitments and responsibilities. Because the older you get, the more responsibilities and obligations came. So when they are still not piling up, take the risk! As for me, the biggest risk I took when I was still a teenager is to CUT OFF TOXIC FAMILY TIES.
I may sound rude here but, yeah. I decided to throw away my emotional baggage from my traumatic childhood and cut off some of my family ties and it is completely okay! You dont have to be bothered by whatever they will say. Because at your age, you are already investing on your growth as a person. If you really want to grow, THERE IS NO PERFECT TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE RISK BUT NOW. Because in taking risk you are actually giving yourself a reward of getting something amazing or beyond what you expect you can have. As they say, the bigger the risk, the bigger the reward. Keep in mind that the bigger the risk, the bigger possibility of FAILURE. But that is completely OKAY. Because just like what I said earlier, you are still young. You dont have so much to lose so, dont be afraid to take the risk and then fail. But after failing, learn from it and the more courage you have to take risk the greater the learning, reward or happiness. Ito na nga, how to take risk nga ba? And what are the risk that would actually help me to grow? #
2: VOICE LESSON - dont get me wrong, hindi ito vocalization para sa pagkanta. What I mean is, learn to listen to that VOICE INSIDE YOU. Listen to your heart, to your intuition and to your visions because it will be your GUIDE. Because I realize that as you go along your journey of your life and if you really want to be YOURSELF and be successful in achieving your goals, the only GUIDE that you should follow is your OWN VOICE.
It is okay to take and consider other people's advices but at the end of the day,you should never forget to listen to your own voice. Because that voice is what tells you what you truly want. How would you know that if it is your 'own' voice? Your own voice always comes from your HEART. The voice where YOU and GOD'S voice are one. Because I firmly believe that God knows your heart and that is where he reside. I like journaling because whenever I journal my thought every night and every morning, I feel a dual voice inside my head. Like, it contradicts what the other voice is telling. For example: If we have dreams or goals that puts us so much weight and pressure to the point that it makes you exhausted, STOP. Because it might be a dream or goal of someone else. I believe that your own dreams and goals may be frustrating most of the time, but that frustration has fueling feeling that will always tell you that 'This is the hard way to better so keep going'. Frustration in your own dreams will not make you feel exhausted because achieving a dream itself is a fulfilling feeling.
#3. TAKE ACTION - if you really want something to happen, take action. Dont just sit there and wait things to come your way. Make action or decisions that will take you to where you want to go in your life. Just like what I said in one of my novels that I am writing in wattpad, "There is no such thing as destiny or fate. Because YOU make your OWN life choices." For example, I cannot expect to be a published author if I dont write any novels right? The bottomline here is, if you are not moving forward you are actually moving backward. And it is a sad thing. Life is full of situations where you will be put in the line whether you take courage or just stay where you are. Because GROWING needs consistency in moving forward. So if you dont have to enough courage to take action, your life will always stay the same or worse you will continuously shrink down.
#4. EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS - this means stretching your comfort zone. I watched an anime entitled "Black Clover" there is a captain there where he always tell his subordinates to surpass their limits right, here right now. Going out of our comfort zones are surely scary and uncomfortable. But you have to accept the fact that you cannot stay on the coast forever. You have to change, because the only thing that is constant in this world is change right? Go out of your comfort zones because LIMITS are just in the MIND. There are disabled people who are successful in their own careers. Because the lesson here is, if you hold back there will be no growth. Because GROWTH blooms in DISCOMFORT.
Last, #5. INVEST IN YOURSELF - especially now that you are still young, you should focus on investing on yourself more. Time is your bestfriend at this point of your life. You have so much time to discover things about yourself. I never regret buying and reading books that I never knew will help me later on in dealing life's challenges. You can use that time to read books, gain wisdom, or pick a new skill, improve your talent and learn from your experiences. Keep learning outside your home or your school. Because the real battlefield is OUTSIDE. What you learn in school will only help you in your career but your wisdom and experiences will help you in life or as a person. People who doesnt embrace growth will never succeed in their life. (This is a reflection blog from my 21st birthday last week. I hope you can feature this on your page and I hope it can help others as well. )