It's no secret that playing with and trying out different makeup trends is fun. But if there is anything that is as fun as creating a strong red lip that has got to be playing with your locks, and creating different 'dos that are fun, trendy, and stylish. But if the skin has acne seasons you can't seem to control, your tresses have its unpredictable bad hair days, too! So, to make sure that your hair game is always on-point, we asked salon expert and TRESemmé hair professional Henri Calayag to list down the common bad hair habits every girl should ditch to achieve healthy and shiny tresses, STAT.
- Avoid over layering hair color and bleaching your hair.
While dyeing your hair fifty shades of rose gold may be fun, the chemicals found in hair dyes are often too strong and harsh for your tresses to handle. So always color with care and within limits.
- Skipping the primer or any protective product before using hair styling tools that require intense heat like a blow dryer and a flat iron.
Although hair tools like a blow dryer and a flat iron can help you create a great hairstyle for the day, it can cause your hair to dry out, too! So, always use a heat protective spray before using these hair styling tools to protect your hair from the intense and damaging heat.
- Know your hair type and invest in hair products of good quality.
You don't have to rely on lady luck to have a great hair day today. Just like your skin, you need to know your hair type to understand its needs better, and to learn what hair care products you need for healthier and shininer locks.
- Avoid chlorine and salt water if you want to maintain good highlights and color.
Use a swimming cap if you must! It may not look fashionable, but it's better than getting stuck with a bad color and dry hair.
- Start an in-depth conversation with your professional hairstylist. Don't give them full control of your hair all the time.
While your hairstylist is knowledgeable when it comes to the hair department, your lifestyle plays a huge role when it comes to your tresses, too. Strike a conversation with your hairstylist and let them know even your most mundane activities so he can create a look that suits not just your hair type, but also your lifestyle.
- Stop shifting from one hairstylist to another. Instead, build a history with your current hairstylist.
It may be tempting to switch from one salon to another if you're looking for a fresh look, but it takes more than skill to create a stylish 'do. If you're looking for a hairstyle that's stylish, flattering, and uniquely you, building a relationship with your hairstylist will be of big help.
- Don't go to another hairstylist after a bad haircut for a quick fix.
When you try to remedy a bad haircut by visiting a different salon, chances are you'll only end up with an even worse cut. Talk to your current hairstylist and let him know what you want done. Communication is key especially in the salon.
- Make it a habit to shampoo and condition your tresses daily.
Skipping the conditioner can be really tempting especially if you're already running late for school. But make it a habit to condition your hair after every shampoo for softer, bouncier, and easy to manage hair.
- Go for a deep hair treatment once every two weeks, or at least once a month.
This once a month treatment will do wonders for your tresses.
- Don't ignore hair fall or hair strand thinning! Consult your hair dermatologist, endocrinologist, or professional hair stylist if this happens ASAP.
While it's easier to simply ignore these, these may be symptoms of underlying serious scalp problems. So, it's better to consult with a professional right away to fix the problem ASAP.
Which of these bad hair habits are you guilty of? Pinky-promise you'll stop doing these today?