Studying abroad is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but it can get pretty financially draining so it's something aspiring international students really have to save up for. Nonetheless, scholarship opportunities are one way to help you fulfill your dreams of studying abroad for free.
If you've always wanted to take your education further by acquiring a master's a doctoral degree, the Australian government has a scholarship program for Filipinos hoping to study in the country. The Australia Awards and Alumni Engagement Program-Philippines provides Filipinos learning opportunities in various fields like Public Health and Social Protection, Trade and Economics, Education, Governance and Public Policy, including Civil Society, Media and Foreign Relations, among others. Good news: They are still accepting applicants for the year 2022.
What does the scholarship cover?
The Australia Awards scholarship covers AUD 200,000 for a master's degree and AUD 300,000 for a PhD. It also covers roundtrip airfare, contribution to living expenses, health coverage, and a one-off establishment allowance.
Who is eligible?
According to their website, citizens of the Philippines of any age can apply as long as they meet the following criteria:
- At least 2 years of cumulative professional work experience
- In a position where skills can be used to effectively contribute change in the Philippines
- Residing in the Philippines for at least last 12 months
- Has a Re-Entry Action Plan (REAP) that contributes to Philippine development
Your field of study should also be aligned with the program's priority areas, as listed below:
- Public Health and Social Protection
- Trade and Economics
- Infrastructure and Smart Cities
- Digital Economy and Cyber Security
- Peace and Development
- Governance and Public Policy, including Civil Society, Media and Foreign Relations
- Natural Resource Management, including Mining and Energy
- Humanitarian and Disaster Risk Management
To further see if you are eligible for the scholarship, you can take the their Pre Qualification Questionnaire Background Information.
What are the requirements?
You'll need to prepare the following requirements if you're interested in applying:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Notarized affidavit of citizenship and residency
- Re-Entry Action Plan (REAP)
- Graduation Certificate (with GWA/GPA indicated); Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, they are currently accepting Transcript of Records (TORs) in lieu of the Certification of GWA/GPA
If you're looking to apply for their PhD programs, you'll also need to prepare your research proposal and indicate the basic details of it.
When is the deadline?
Application starts on February 1, 2021 and will stay open until April 30, 2021. Shortlisted candidates will be notified by May to June and panel interviews will be done in July. By August, the selection of final candidates for the scholarship will be done.
To apply, you may visit the organization's official website here.