Got to Believe: Kathryn Bernardo's Chichay-isms
Rich, intimidating boy—who's really just lonely—meets kooky girl who can't be bothered to give him the royal treatment like everyone else does. It's a tried-and-tested rom-com formula that has worked for years particularly because of the chemistry between the actors. And as legions of fervent KathNiel fans prove, the chemistry between Got to Believe’s Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla is electric.
Another thing that makes this formula such a hit is the kooky girl’s quirks. For example, it’s only been a few days since Kathryn's Chichay graced our screens, but we’ve already seen a boatload of cute Chichay-isms:
- Her princess curtsy. First seen in the trailer, when she apologizes for hitting Joaquin (Daniel) and sending parts of a booth crashing down on him. "Patay agad? Ang OA naman nito. O, sorry pooo." The curtsy's a nice nod to her former teleserye Princess and I, right?
- Her contagious exuberance. Chichay loves talking while gesturing wildly with her limbs. Kathryn pulls off Chichay's brand of physical comedy, making it look fresh and natural, not annoying.
- Her puppy dog eyes. When Chichay won an art contest in school, she pranked her parents, pretending like she lost.
- Her pet name for her parents. She calls them Papa Bear and Mama Bear, and if I’m not mistaken, they call her Care Bear. Adorbs!
- Her sweet moments with her lolo. When her forgetful lolo started talking about her like she wasn’t right in front of him ("Yung apo kong maganda at mabait, malulungkot ‘pag nagsara ang perya."), did anyone else get a "Karen po" vibe? You know, from that classic McDo commercial?
- Her words of wisdom. To see is to believe, sure, but here's Chichay's two cents' worth: "May mga bagay na kailangan mong paniwalaan bago mo makita."
Got to Believe airs weekdays, around 8:30 pm on ABS-CBN.