7 J.K. Rowling Quotes to Lift Your Spirits During These Dark Times
It’s not easy being a girl, a Filipino, or simply a human being these days. The real world and the world wide web are rife with anger, violence, and fear, and every step forward seems to be followed by two (or three or four or five) steps backward. These are dark, dangerous times, and we’re very lucky to be able to find comfort in friends and family. We’re also lucky to have literary heroes and the safe spaces they create, where we can find solace and strength. J.K. Rowling has done all of us a huge favor by letting us into her wizarding world, and even beyond that, in the No-Maj world, she is quite the inspiration.
- "My heroes are always people who have the courage to say, 'I see how it is, but it doesn't have to be that way.' They are the ones willing to ask, 'Why is it this way?'" —From a Warner Bros. interview about her latest project, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, out November 17
- "It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- "The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks means that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to survive." —From her 2008 Harvard University commencement speech
- "It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." —Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- "If you choose to use your status and influence to raise your voice on behalf of those who have no voice; if you choose to identify not only with the powerful, but with the powerless; if you retain the ability to imagine yourself into the lives of those who do not have your advantages, then it will not only be your proud families who celebrate your existence, but thousands and millions of people whose reality you have helped change. We do not need magic to change the world. We carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better." —From her 2008 Harvard University commencement speech