5 Reasons Why Taylor Swift Ruled 2014
2014 was a huge year for country-singer-turned-pop-sensation Taylor Swift. Her name is in the headlines almost always and her latest album is such a major hit, Billboard even put her on the cover and named her Woman of the Year. As T-Swizzle turns a year older this year, we look back on why we think this 25-year-old ruled this year.
- The Giver opened in cinemas. Aside from being a singer and songwriter, Tay also sometimes appeared in movies. She played a minor role in the film adaptation of Lois Lowry's best selling YA novel of the same title, and yet the singer has made her mark as she played Rosemary—a girl who didn't succeed in gaining the memories of the Giver. The Giver is Tay's fifth movie (Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience, Hannah Montana: The Movie, Valentine's Day, and The Lorax are the others), and we know there's no stopping her from popping on the big screen every now and then.
- She had new friends. The definitive list of Taylor Swift's BFFs is ever-evolving. After we published this list on the website, T-Swizzle has been seen hanging out with Gigi Hadid, Kendall Jenner, Cara Delevingne, and a bunch of Victoria's Secret Angels. Phew! It's so hard to keep track of her friendship circle!
- 1989 was released. What probably made T-Swizzle a sensation this year was the release of her first pop album, 1989. It showed how she has matured musically and lyrically, and how she's willing to explore something that's really different from what she's been doing for so long. This move proved to be a success, though, because her tracks like "Blank Space," "Shake It Off," and "Out of the Woods" have skyrocketed to the top of the music charts. Plus, she also made huge sales on the first week of 1989's release.
- She mentored on The Voice. Televiewers worldwide and the participants of The Voice saw a slightly different side of T-Swizzle as she helped the contestants of the US talent search get their best selves onstage. The Voice coaches Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani, and Pharrell Williams have nothing but good words to say about Tay's short stint on the talent search.
- She won hearts by making a stand. When T-Swizzle decided to pull out all of her albums from music-streaming site, Spotify, many didn't quite understand her move, but admired her for making her stand stand. Mixed reactions from people were published on the Internet, but this singer stood her ground. Not all people can do that. Tay definitely knows how to be the boss of her own brand. "Music is art, and art is important and rare. Important, rare things are valuable. Valuable things should be paid for," she said in her op-ed for The Wall Street Journal. Now that's something.
And as she turns 25 today, we have nothing but good words to say about T-Swizzle, too. It's been a great year for her and for music, don't you think? Here's to many more years of doing that, Taylor Swift. Happy birthday, girl!
What's your birthday wish for Taylor, Candy Girls? Let us know in the comments or tweet us @candymagdotcom to join the conversation. :)