10 Movies With Bittersweet Endings
So you have read our list of ugly-cry movies and by the looks of it, we think you need more #feels. These movies aren't exactly going to make you cry from start to finish or from middle to end. They will tug at your heart strings a few minutes before the screen goes black and the closing credits start appearing. Here are 10 movie with bittersweet endings you should totes see this 'ber season. Warning: Spoilers ahead so if you haven't watched some of these movies yet, scroll with caution.
1. Before Sunrise. Maybe many of you weren't born yet when the first film came out in 1995. The reason why the ending is bittersweet was because the means of communication that time were limited. The only way they can stay in touch was through snail mail and too bad, they didn't get each other's home addresses. We were clueless whether a sequel was pushing through or not (almost a decade later!), so we got a bit emotional when Celine (Julie Delpy) and Jesse (Ethan Hawke) had to part at the train station.
2. Like Crazy. After everything this couple has been through—getting together, staying in the relationship while they were in different timezones, getting married, and then being apart for a while—it was just a bit sad to see them finally settle down at the end of the film but get in a mental and emotional war with their doubts and fears, not being sure if they can make it through. Borrowing words from Coldplay's classic song "The Scientist," nobody said long distance relationships were easy. Nobody told Anna (Felicity Jones) and Jacob (Anton Yelchin) it was going to be that hard either.
3. (500) Days of Summer. So how does it feel to be in a very complicated relationship—oh you know, the one that has the other person calling you as a friend and yet you act like you're a legit couple? Ask Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), whose heart was crushed by a really adorable Summer (Zooey Deschanel) in the middle of what could have been their wonderful time together.
4. Toy Story 3. Just when we thought that scene where our fave toys were going to die was too emotional, we get an ending with Andy letting go of his favorite gang. We never really thought animated films will make us cry like babies, but the third installment from the Toy Story series did. Good thing they're working on a 4th film, which we're hoping reunites Andy with Woody, Buzz Lightyear, and the rest of the gang somehow—even for a brief moment.
5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2. A few months after we watched Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) die in the arms of her beloved Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), we still can't believe it's end game for this 2. Too soon, you guys. The death may have been written in the stars, but still! Can't they just change Emma's hair color to red and cast her again as Mary Jane Watson? *sobs*
6. Titanic. The odds weren't in Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Rose's (Kate Winslet) favor. After fighting for their right to be together—while they were in a sinking ship—Jack dies and sinks with it. We're happy that Rose had a good life after his death, but we're still thinking about all the what ifs had Jack actually lived and they had a family together in America.
7. Becoming Jane. This movie portrait of famous writer, Jane Austen, chronicles a young Jane's (Anne Hathaway) struggles to be who she wants to be, and her short-lived romance with Irish man Tom Lefroy in a time when marriage because of love was nearly impossible. Their romance may not have pushed through and just lived in stories Jane has written, but they never really stopped loving each other. Years after they went their separate ways, Tom names his daughter after Jane who's also a fan of her work. Too. Much. Heartbreak.
8. Once. If you enjoy movies with good music, you'd definitely love this film about 2 musicians who meet at a very difficult time in their lives and make great music together. Their chemistry is undeniable. The thing is the girl (Marketa Irglova) is married and has a kid. Of course, they do what's right and she goes back to her husband while the guy (Glen Hansard) follows her advice and gets back together with his ex-girlfriend. It's a refreshing movie to watch in a time when it's a trend in the big screen to have a third party going on for you.
9. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2. We know we should be rejoicing because after many years, the Dark Lord was finally defeated. But after numerous deaths and knowing that we'll never have another Harry Potter film to look forward to, this final look at Harry, Ron, and Hermione is just a little heartbreaking.
10. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (Now Showing). If you're still planning to watch the movie this week in theaters, go click another link on the website (LOLJK!). Like most of you predicted, the movie ended in the part where Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) was rescued and tries to kill Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) because evil President Snow (Donald Sutherland) brainwashed him so he'd hate and kill her in the end. After all the tears Katniss has cried because she wants Peeta back, he just tries to strangle her to death. Huhu, yes, that's real.
Know more movies with bittersweet endings? Share them in the comments or tweet us @candymagdotcom. We always love hearing from you. :)
What're you up to today? Submit your OOTD, fanfic, essay, school project, org event, a pic of your latest hobby, or anything you want to be posted on the Candy Bulletin page!
Hello everyone! I would like to introduce my little passion project I started exactly a month ago — VITAP0PS is my small indie art shop giving you a clean, minimal and vintage ~vibe~ stuff. It will really mean a lot to me if we can connect through my art. Bonus if you're into Hiligaynon slangs. I'll see you there! site: msha.ke/shovitap0ps instagram/pinterest: shopvitap0ps artist: vitap0ps
Hello, I'm Isabel and I'm a foodie from the South. I love trying out new dishes and pastries in the Metro while I ask myself if it's worth the hype. During this pandemic, I've decided to keep my foodie dreams alive by supporting my friends and small food businesses.
Aside from ordering from them, I've also created my own food blog via Instagram to express my thoughts and positive reviews about them to somehow help spread the word of their food and how other people should try it. At the end of the day, we are all helping one another through this difficult time by having multiple coping mechanisms - others to cook or bake while I write a review about what I eat.
Check out my food blog on Instagram @perdiviews and feel free to send me a message so I can collaborate with you soon!
It's not making sense. Maybe, it is. Everything is so blurry and vague. You can't seem to fathom what's happening. You're lost and searching- searching for the meaning behind what ifs and what could have beens. But life, we give meaning to life as if it's a beautiful paradise. Indeed it is.
But why we feel so gloomy, so empty? It seems like no light is passing through our soul. We're wounded. Hoping for healing. That's because, we're living. We celebrate life but we also fight for it. You feel all the pain, because you're living. You're not just alive, you're living. You can make it through all the storm and darkness. Wishing you well, Marj.
I was, but I am not. Desperately, I am trying to reach you – my hope. I am in this particular space in my own constructed world where doubts and frustrations recur. Emphasizing how scared I am being here, I never explored this area before. I was always in those places filled with benevolence, hope shining like the light the sun and the moon possess. And I didn’t have any plans to visit a ‘dark’ place, as how I described it then. But, as funny as how my world suddenly flipped, I am now here, completely lost with monsters persuading me to go insane.
How did I end up here? I can’t logically tell you the answer for that, but I guess, I know when. It started when I had to consider what college course do I want to pursue. Well, if you want to ask what ambition had occurred in my mind when I was young – which is usually the case in terms of life when you were like 7-year-old young - it was definitely being a doctor. I’d thought about wearing a medical coat with a stethoscope around my neck, ready to cure people from their illnesses. It was actually stuck in my mind for so long I almost thought that I was sure of it, yet, as a particular song yields, almost was never really enough and still, it is and will never be.
When I realized that such a perspective was slowly draining me, I tried my best to stand tough. I convinced myself that this was just temporary, that I could think of a way out of this. “There’s still plenty of time,” I once convinced myself. However, my environment demonstrated the contrary: I felt like I was completely out of time.
I was there when my classmates were happily talking about that ‘dream course’ they wish to take in their ‘dream university.’ I was there when my family was suggesting the thought of using my ‘suitable’ speaking voice for broadcasting and voice acting purposes. I was there when my teacher was convincing me that Education suited me the best. That ‘Stand tough!’ aura I used to own back then, suddenly transformed into ‘I give up!’ state, slowly destroying my being. And now, I am here in this space where doubts and frustrations are filling my former enthusiastic self. I need help.
I know, at this point, some of you may never consider me ‘fatal’ because, as you’re reading this, you may judge that I still have the ability to transform my thoughts into words that can be read, so that ‘automatically’ falls into the aspect of complete sanity. No, because I will never tell everything to you in the first place if I still have the urge to stand like I used to, relative to my belief that speaking up through writing is the best way to attract help.
When you look at the photo of mine above, you may say that I was okay. That I was successful. That I was never losing myself. Yes, I was. But, think about what happened days after that was taken and the message of this passage you started reading minutes before, do you think I am still the same girl smiling in the photo? I hope I will be or better yet, improve if the world will permit me. But, now I’m sure – I’m not the same.
LIFE ADVICE YOU NEED TO HEAR WHILE YOURE STILL YOUNG
This blog is dedicated to all teens out there struggling in determining what they really want in their life or if you simply want a glow up. And since were still facing a pandemic, I think this is also a season where everyone is re-thinking about their lives. So, I hope these advices might help you.
Tip #1. TAKE RISK - since most of you are still young, I advice you to take your biggest risk. Whether it may be taking the course you want, a skill you want to acquire or just simply taking the risk to throw away your emotional baggage from your childhood. While you're still young, you have very little to lose. You dont have that much commitments and responsibilities. Because the older you get, the more responsibilities and obligations came. So when they are still not piling up, take the risk! As for me, the biggest risk I took when I was still a teenager is to CUT OFF TOXIC FAMILY TIES.
I may sound rude here but, yeah. I decided to throw away my emotional baggage from my traumatic childhood and cut off some of my family ties and it is completely okay! You dont have to be bothered by whatever they will say. Because at your age, you are already investing on your growth as a person. If you really want to grow, THERE IS NO PERFECT TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE RISK BUT NOW. Because in taking risk you are actually giving yourself a reward of getting something amazing or beyond what you expect you can have. As they say, the bigger the risk, the bigger the reward. Keep in mind that the bigger the risk, the bigger possibility of FAILURE. But that is completely OKAY. Because just like what I said earlier, you are still young. You dont have so much to lose so, dont be afraid to take the risk and then fail. But after failing, learn from it and the more courage you have to take risk the greater the learning, reward or happiness. Ito na nga, how to take risk nga ba? And what are the risk that would actually help me to grow? #
2: VOICE LESSON - dont get me wrong, hindi ito vocalization para sa pagkanta. What I mean is, learn to listen to that VOICE INSIDE YOU. Listen to your heart, to your intuition and to your visions because it will be your GUIDE. Because I realize that as you go along your journey of your life and if you really want to be YOURSELF and be successful in achieving your goals, the only GUIDE that you should follow is your OWN VOICE.
It is okay to take and consider other people's advices but at the end of the day,you should never forget to listen to your own voice. Because that voice is what tells you what you truly want. How would you know that if it is your 'own' voice? Your own voice always comes from your HEART. The voice where YOU and GOD'S voice are one. Because I firmly believe that God knows your heart and that is where he reside. I like journaling because whenever I journal my thought every night and every morning, I feel a dual voice inside my head. Like, it contradicts what the other voice is telling. For example: If we have dreams or goals that puts us so much weight and pressure to the point that it makes you exhausted, STOP. Because it might be a dream or goal of someone else. I believe that your own dreams and goals may be frustrating most of the time, but that frustration has fueling feeling that will always tell you that 'This is the hard way to better so keep going'. Frustration in your own dreams will not make you feel exhausted because achieving a dream itself is a fulfilling feeling.
#3. TAKE ACTION - if you really want something to happen, take action. Dont just sit there and wait things to come your way. Make action or decisions that will take you to where you want to go in your life. Just like what I said in one of my novels that I am writing in wattpad, "There is no such thing as destiny or fate. Because YOU make your OWN life choices." For example, I cannot expect to be a published author if I dont write any novels right? The bottomline here is, if you are not moving forward you are actually moving backward. And it is a sad thing. Life is full of situations where you will be put in the line whether you take courage or just stay where you are. Because GROWING needs consistency in moving forward. So if you dont have to enough courage to take action, your life will always stay the same or worse you will continuously shrink down.
#4. EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS - this means stretching your comfort zone. I watched an anime entitled "Black Clover" there is a captain there where he always tell his subordinates to surpass their limits right, here right now. Going out of our comfort zones are surely scary and uncomfortable. But you have to accept the fact that you cannot stay on the coast forever. You have to change, because the only thing that is constant in this world is change right? Go out of your comfort zones because LIMITS are just in the MIND. There are disabled people who are successful in their own careers. Because the lesson here is, if you hold back there will be no growth. Because GROWTH blooms in DISCOMFORT.
Last, #5. INVEST IN YOURSELF - especially now that you are still young, you should focus on investing on yourself more. Time is your bestfriend at this point of your life. You have so much time to discover things about yourself. I never regret buying and reading books that I never knew will help me later on in dealing life's challenges. You can use that time to read books, gain wisdom, or pick a new skill, improve your talent and learn from your experiences. Keep learning outside your home or your school. Because the real battlefield is OUTSIDE. What you learn in school will only help you in your career but your wisdom and experiences will help you in life or as a person. People who doesnt embrace growth will never succeed in their life. (This is a reflection blog from my 21st birthday last week. I hope you can feature this on your page and I hope it can help others as well. )