Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Want to know the latest about your favorite teen celebs? Check out Candy Buzz

Author Topic: Possible Megalodon in Mariana Trench:(gulp!)...  (Read 5415 times)

highflyer23

• jellybean
  • Anak ni Sarge
Possible Megalodon in Mariana Trench:(gulp!)...
« on: December 28, 2008, 03:47:57 PM »
The deepest portion of the Pacific Ocean, the Challenger Deep, is located in the Mariana Trench in the western Pacific.

Recently, Japanese researchers have conducted an interesting experiment in the Suruga Bay, not far from the Mariana Trench, the deepest spot in the World Ocean.

The researchers put a container with some smelly bait on the bay bottom. A special video camera was attached to the wall of the container. The researchers peered into monitors to see what would happen with the container and the bait.

The smell of the bait attracted a shoal of deep-water sharks. But then the researchers saw something incredible that left them speechless. Suddenly the sharks scattered in all directions and researchers saw an incredibly huge monster on the screens of their monitors.

The giant slowly soared before the video camera at a depth of about 1.5 kilometers. The length of the sea Goliath was over 60 meters (more than 180 feet). It was not clear what the giant was in fact.

Researchers failed to answer the question, just made conjectures concerning what the creature may be. They said that might be a sleeping shark, the largest shark . Even now people know just few facts about these sharks.

They have been hiding in the dark ocean deeps for millions of years. People have never seen live sleeping sharks as well as giant squids. Only once, in 1964, a bulk of a dead sleeping shark was cast ashore in Indonesia; it was just a very young shark judging by its size of 26 meters. ..PRAVDA 9/20/03

"Scientists still do not know what they saw, registered and filmed and not a single frame has been released. If it was a giant shark Megalodon is a good candidate, even though this monster is thought to have died out 170 million years ago; see our features Megalodon the Monster Shark and New Evidence for Megalodon.
If it was a classical sea serpent it´s easy to understand why the Japanese scientist´s are cautious and would like to analyze the video footage very careful before releasing it to the world."

Carcharodon Megalodon has to be the biggest fish story of all time. He was this big!
(----------------) No, really! Initial estimates of this giant shark were 80 to 100 feet in length! Well ok, he was this big. (---------) More recent estimates figure him to be 40 to 50 feet long and weighing 48 tons! This is still unbelievably huge.

That’s longer than my house! The weight is comparable to 7 large African elephants weighing 7 tons each! That’s bigger than T-Rex! In fact next to the sperm whale Megalodon was the largest predator the world has ever seen!

What’s For Dinner?  This ancient shark had no equal in the ocean and certainly nothing preyed upon it. Providing nourishment for 48 tons of raw powered muscle is no slight task. They probably dined on whales.

Carcharodon Megalodon was a giant shark that lived during the Miocene and Pliocene epics of the Cenozoic Era, between 2 million and 16 million years ago. Little is known for sure about these giant predators because all that remains of their existence are fossilized teeth. But what teeth they are! These giant shark teeth range in size from 3 inches long to 7 inches long. They are massive things that can be bigger than a man’s hand. It sets the imagination reeling. To put this in perspective a large great white shark measures about 20 feet long and weighs a little over 2 tons. A tooth from a shark like this is about 1.5 inches long.

The fossilized teeth are all that remains of this monster because sharks do not have bones. Their skeleton is made up of cartilage. This is what your ears and nose are made from. Cartilage does not fossilize well.
"He who comes to us by the Sword shall die by the sword"

highflyer23

• jellybean
  • Anak ni Sarge
Re: Possible Megalodon in Mariana Trench:(gulp!)...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 03:57:14 PM »
geeeshh...it really freaked me out!!! i didnt know such things like this could exist!!!---until TODAY!!! imagine if this massive killing machine and enormous
"jaws of death" still lurking the open ocean....(kayang kaya ka pang lunukin ksama yung bangka mo!!!)maliligo ka pa ba??!!

crashtestdummy

• sugar drops
  • It just doesn't end!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:12:26 AM »
I call bullsh1t.

No names from the Japanese team, no company, nothing.

The researchers put a container with some smelly bait on the bay bottom. A special video camera was attached to the wall of the container. The researchers peered into monitors to see what would happen with the container and the bait.

ORLY? It sounds like an elementary student's statement. Surely it would be more complicated than this.

And this article has been circulating the net for 4 years, the Japanese should have shown the footage to the world by now.

AND if it were true, no way in hell would it be seen from the Marianas trench, it's too deep and dark that life is limited. The Charcharon Megalodon has to consume 2500 lbs of flesh per day, so it is impossible.

The sci fi nerd who wrote this must be a big Steve Alten fan :P

So don't worry, you can hop on a boat without worrying about a sleeping shark using you as a toothpick any time soon.

A.l.E.y.N

• taffy
  • You pull me in & I’m a little more brave.
    • Multiply
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 09:46:39 AM »
i think this news was stated long ago. it is proven that they exist. megalodons are real. try searching some photos from yahoo.you'll be surprised by how big and scary they are.
All you need is LOVE

Milliardo

• cotton candy
  • Deacon
    • Free Discussion
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:39:22 AM »
Hhmm...so why is this on this forum instead of What's Happening? :D

Anyway, yes it can exist. Many scientists do speculate that there are many things that have not been discovered beneath the oceans, and the possibility of such a shark still living is there.
More honourable than the Cherubim, and far glorious beyond compare than the Seraphim. Without defilement, you gave birth to God the Word. True Theotokos, we magnify you.

highflyer23

• jellybean
  • Anak ni Sarge
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 11:26:06 AM »
The Coelacanth (Latimeria chalumnae) was thought to be extinct for more than 60 million years until a live specimen was captured in 1938. We now know that there is a small but definitely surviving population of these ancient fish in very deep waters off eastern Africa and another was recently discovered off Indonesia. Who's to say that Megalodon does not also survive?

95% of our oceans are unexplored...consider the possibility that such a creature could still exist and still lurking the depths of the deep..

One well-known example was reported by writer David G. Stead in his book Sharks and Rays of Australian Seas, that was released in 1963. The brief excerpt of this account is mentioned below:

In the year 1918 I recorded the sensation that had been caused among the “outside” crayfish men at Port Stephens, when, for several days, they refused to go to sea to their regular fishing grounds in the vicinity of Broughton Island. The men had been at work on the fishing grounds—which lie in deep water—when an immense shark of almost unbelievable proportions put in an appearance, lifting pot after pot containing many crayfishes, and taking, as the men said, “pots, mooring lines and all”. These crayfish pots, it should be mentioned, were about 3 feet 6 inches [1.06 m] in diameter and frequently contained from two to three dozen good-sized crayfish each weighing several pounds. The men were all unanimous that this shark was something the like of which they had never dreamed of. In company with the local Fisheries Inspector I questioned many of the men very closely and they all agreed as to the gigantic stature of the beast.[1]

This report actually got considerable attention from the media and David G. Stead himself believed in this account. But most shark experts through careful examination of this account, pointed out some clear signs of exaggerations at several points (including the size factor) and questioned the authenticity of this account, because the sailors themselves were giving contradictory statements. Hence, those sailors were most likely exaggerating the details of that event. One expert even said that those sailors might have concocted this story, after they lost their crab pots in an accident.[2]

Another well-known account was reported by writer Zane Grey and his son Loren in 1933. His actual comments have been narrated by Gross in 1987:

At first I thought it was a whale, but when the great brown tail rose in the ship’s wake as the fish moved ponderously away from the liner, I knew immediately that it was a monstrous shark. The huge round head appeared to be at least 10 to 12 feet across if not more … It was my belief that this huge, yellowish, barnacled creature must have been at least 40 or 50 feet long. He was not a whale shark: the whale shark has a distinctive white purplish green appearance with large brown spots and much narrower head. So what was he—perhaps a true prehistoric monster of the deep? [1]

After careful examination of this case as well, most shark experts concluded that Grey’s description of the animal still closely matches that of the whale shark and he is wrong about the coloring of this animal. An expert, Castro, gives a good explanation of the coloring of the skin of whale sharks. He points out that many white or yellowish spots can be observed on the skin of whale sharks. And it is clear that a whale shark has a very wide, squarish, yet slightly rounded head.[1]
 In fiction and popular culture
Ever since the remains of this shark were discovered, it has immensely fascinated people. In the past, people used to think that the oceans were inhabited by dangerous monsters big enough to destroy boats and could be regarded as serious threats to fishers. C. megalodon has made its way onto the list of such monsters.

keytie

• cotton candy
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 11:54:04 AM »
Diba dati meron din nakita sa picture yung parang malaking dinosaur sa water? siguro kung meron pa ngayong ganung kalaking shark wala ng mangingisda dun ever.

crashtestdummy

• sugar drops
  • It just doesn't end!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 12:01:29 PM »
^^ C Megalodons don't swim up to shallow waters. They'd die.

It was probably a basking or a sleeping shark or a greenland shark, they can grow over 20 ft long.

C Megalodons used to feed on prehistoric whales but they evolved too quickly so the former had nothing to eat.

Okay I take back the claim about the video not existing, it's on youtube, check it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTKzrVv7I_o&feature=related

but it looks like its 10-20 ft long, not 60-80ft like the Megalodon.

It's a Greenland shark, crazy Japs. Clearly.

Sorry, I'm rly into prehistoric life so. And yes, this topic should be moved.

highflyer23

• jellybean
  • Anak ni Sarge
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 12:53:43 PM »
just like i said, 95% of our oceans are unexplored right??
(we know more of our Solar System than our oceans)

who knows whats "down there" no one could be sure..
i kinda believed David G. Stead's story written above
besides the exxagerration of the shark that was given

dont forget theres more than one monster in the sea
Kraken,Leviathan,Loch ness Monster,"Bloop",the fabled "Basilisk" in the Bermuda Triangle and many more......

ADVERTISEMENT
Get your weekly dose of Candy straight to your inbox!
Subscribe to Candy and get 15% off on your subscription!
subscribe
Get Candy on your mobile devices by subscribing to the digital version monthly!
digital version
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

CANDY BLOG

Of Great Loves and Timing

by: guest, 2014-07-23

Lessons from She’s Dating the Gangster By Pepper Limpoco, Council of Cool 14 Going into the cinema, I expected what anyone would have expected from a Kathryn Bernardo and...

ADVERTISEMENT
About | Advertise | Register | Contact | Subscribe
Our Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© 2013 Candymag.com, All Rights Reserved