- Her real name is Kitty White.
- She may be an omnipresent Japanese pop icon, but her fictional biography says that she was born in the suburbs of London, England. She lives in a little white house with a red roof, as portrayed in those stationeries.
- In Sanrio Town, they measure your vital statistics in apples. Hello Kitty’s height is around three apples high and her weight is three apples heavy. Go figure.
- She has a twin sister and BFF named Mimmy. How do you tell the two apart? Hello Kitty wears her ribbon on her left ear, while Mimmy wears hers on the right—which means your mom may have bought you a Mimmy White school bag, thinking that it’s Hello Kitty.
- Hello Kitty has a sweet tooth. Her creators have packaged her as a cookie-loving baker who loves her Mama’s apple pie. Now you know why Hello Kitty designs usually include apples and sweets.
- The other cats and animals included in Hello Kitty designs aren’t extras—they’re Hello Kitty’s family and circle of friends who each have their own names and distinct personalities.
- Her love life is like a soap opera. Her first love is Daniel Starr (a.k.a. Dear Daniel), a London bloke who travels all over the world. Although this cat comes off as a bit of a Casanova with his spiky hairstyle, stylish suit, and dancing skills, he is completely in love with Hello Kitty. His stiff competition is Tippy the bear, Hello Kitty’s classmate and admirer who charms her while Daniel is busy globetrotting.
- She has a pet cat named Charmmy Kitty from her Papa and a hamster named Sugar from Dear Daniel. They, too, have their own line of Sanrio items.
- One of the most common questions asked about Hello Kitty is, “Why doesn’t she have a mouth?” Hello Kitty designer Yuko Yamaguchi answered the question in a 2008 interview with Time Magazine: “It’s so that people who look at her can project their own feelings onto her face, because she has an expressionless face. Kitty looks happy when people are happy. She looks sad when they are sad. For this psychological reason, we thought she shouldn’t be tied to any emotion—and that’s why she doesn’t have a mouth.”
- Nintendo DS is one of the many companies getting into the spirit of her birthday celebration this month by launching Hello Kitty Birthday Adventures, a game where you can “collect stamps and stickers for Hello Kitty’s birthday book by playing mini-games, helping friends, and finding special objects.” It’s not exactly Super Mario or Pokémon, but you or your seven-year-old sister may find it cute.
Notes from a Candy Girl for life.
Skip a makeup step with these beauty goodies!
Take pretty notes and study effectively with these tips!
Wait for a love like this. A love that is good to you, for you.
Are you up for this challenge?
Can't wait to see the actual gowns!
But I want you to know that I tried my best.
The up-and-coming musicians and childhood friends talk about their music, creative process, and why it's important to be woke.
Because when it comes to a great lip game, there's really no need to splurge!
A different language sheds new light on everyday terms.
Take advantage of the cooler weather in the metro!