Features

5 in 5: She's Dating The Gangster's Bianca Bernardino

The author of the online fan fic that swept the Pinoy K Generation shares more about SDTG, why girls are attracted to bad boys, and who she'd love to cast if her story were to be made into a show or movie.
by Macy Alcaraz, Managing Editor, candymag.com
April 16, 2013 06:00 pm

When did you write She's Dating The Gangster (SDTG)? What was the inspiration behind it?

I started writing it late in 2005 until around January 2006. I only posted it on candymag.com in April that year. The story began with a lot of what ifs and as it moved along, I started including people's experiences to make it more realistic. I just wanted to express how I felt through writing.

How did it feel when you got contacted by Summit Books and they told you they want to publish your story?

It was mixed emotions. I was stunned because someone actually wanted to publish it. And not just some publisher but it's Summit Books! Excited because after 7 years, my hard work finally paid off.  And of course, I also got scared. I did not know if the readers would embrace the revised version as much as the original.

Can you relate to the characters in your story? What's your take on "bad boys" and why do you think girls are attracted to them?

Like what most readers did, I put myself in Athena's shoes. Bad boys are challenging; being with them is thrilling. Girls want to be that special girl who makes this tough guy change. Bad boys usually have two sides: tough when they're in front of other people, but sweet when he's with his special girl. That's what attracts girls to them.

If SDTG could be turned into a movie or TV show, who would you cast as the leads?

I can see a potential Athena and Kenji in Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla. Daniel has this bad boy aura while I get Athena vibes from Kathryn. So I'd definitely pick those two!

Are you planning on following up SDTG with a new story?

Yes, I have already started two stories, but went on hiatus since readers have been
pressuring me. I write for pleasure and not for pressure. I might start writing She's Dating the Gangster, Too again, who knows?

Have you gotten your copy of She's Dating The Gangster yet? It's available at all leading bookstores nationwide for P175.

4.56 out of 5 | Number of Votes: 42

• heyitsjette 1
    Ate Bianca is so inspiring. I wanna be like her x
    Apr 19 2013 @ 06:51pm

• Xiao 2
    OMG!!i already read the original version on wattpad.. and it's my 4th time reading it again int agalog version and still the pain of Athena and Kenji is still what I felt now.
    Apr 18 2013 @ 10:46pm

• Gelatinn 3
    This story made me cry especially at the ending.
    Apr 18 2013 @ 06:51pm

• Quenie 4
    para sa akin ang bagay o pdng maging kenji ay si Alexander Diaz ng starmagic kac may pagka badboy ang itsura nya bagay talaga then si Julia Barreto naman ang athena kasi may pagka socialera si julia ka2lad ni athena tas may pagka loud din "megaphone" nga daw sabi ni kenji tapos si lucas si Kit Thompson then abigail naman si Michelle Vito then jigs and grace naman si Jerome Ponce at Janella Salvador tapos un lang opinion lang aman :)

basta kahit kung sino man ang maging artista pag ginawa syang movie papanuorin ko talaga i love SDTG so so much mmuuaahh ilove all the characters lalo na si jigs and kirby
    Apr 18 2013 @ 12:24pm

• Iya Biala 5
    TRAGIC. :):
    'twas the first story I've read on wattpad. It was two years ago and yet I'm still into the story. I love Kenji and Athena!
    Apr 18 2013 @ 09:32am

• JMPads 6
    eventhough tragic ending to, pero i super duper love it talaga. grabe ang impact :))))
    Apr 18 2013 @ 12:26am

• agniss_everdeen 7
    was it also bianca bernardino who wrote/posted SDTG in wattpad?
    Apr 17 2013 @ 09:24pm

• April Joyce 8
    i already red SDTG in wattpad and i really love it,,:)
    Apr 17 2013 @ 03:49pm

• Jjoelovesyou 9
    SexyLove & LoveBabe forever :)))))
    Apr 17 2013 @ 01:06am

• tweetyAnn 10
    i've read SDTG in wattpad and it's a very nice story. can't help myself but cry when i learnerd what happened to Athena.
    Apr 16 2013 @ 07:11pm

• Chezka Faye 11
    Sana nga po ehh gawin itong Teleserye.. Of course si Kath at DJ ba naman ang cast? hahaha... I really do love that story... I was expecting na merong book 2 nito.. kaso nung natapos ko na ang story nalungkot ako kasi namatay silang dalawa..
    Apr 16 2013 @ 07:09pm

• the quintessential icon 12
    She's Dating The Gangster, Too! :) Excited. :)
    Apr 16 2013 @ 06:15pm

• laladreams 13
    Wooooow!
    Apr 16 2013 @ 06:09pm

It's Recess Time!

by: angel, 2014-04-24

It's mid-morning on a school day. You're sitting in the classroom, trying desperately to keep your eyes open. Your stomach is grumbling because it's been hours since your first meal...

Which Dystopian Heroine Should You Hang Out With This Summer? Should you hang out with Katniss or Tris?