Fashion

Style Files: Gillian Uang

This chick from Cebu shares her vintage watch collection from her dad.

photos courtesy of Gillian Uang

November 6, 2010 10:00 am

Name: Gilliian Stephanie Uang
Age: 21 y
School: College of Architecture and Fine Arts, University of San Carlos – Technological Center
Hometown: Cebu City, Philippines

Clean lines with a kick. I'd say my style is a contradiction. I usually execute an outfit by presenting a bridge between femininity and masculinity!  I love flowy pieces paired with structured accessories. I usually tend to invest on classics. If  I do follow trends, I tweak them and make them my own. My style usually projects simple clean lines with quirky punches into it. Generally I follow the philosophy “proportion is everything”.  More than half of my clothes had to be tailored to fit me just because I am abnormally tiny for my age. I believe you can pull of any look as long as you adjust it to your body proportions! Fashion is definitely an architecture!
Shopping haven.
I shop everywhere, even down to thrift stores!  I see potential in everything and brands don’t matter to me at all. As long as you can pull it off who needs a tag? haha!
Favorite fashion designer.
Mique Yapching for the local scene. And for the international hub, recently I’ve been raving about Marchesa! Hats off to Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig for Marchesa’s SPRING/SUMMER 2011 collection.
Always wearing...
Any of my Dad’s vintage watches! I just love how it’s stylish in an understated way.
The classic girl.
I get inspired by girls from the late '50s. It’s not more on what they wear but how they wear it! I love how they dress up wherever they are going, even in the groceries, and they always look proper! Also the '20s era, when they wore loose silhouettes, I appreciate flowing pieces and detail to the bone!
Style icon.
I have loads! But right now it’s Alexa Chung‘s qurikiness, Rachel Zoe’s urban style and  Anna Wintour’s polished sense and Clemence Poesy’s relaxed vibe!
Influential art.
The arts! I believe having to study in a school that’s art driven really helped in the evolvement of my style. You see things differently and appreciate the weirdest things! I love it!
Closet palette.
Neutrals! I have a lot of whites,creams and grays and the occasional pop of color! I don’t believe in that "little black dress" that’s supposed to save your life at times of fashion crises. The little white dress does it for me! I do have some black pieces that I just recently bought but no black dresses here!
Never ever!
Neon colored skinny jeans! Ask anyone, I never fell under the trap of neon skinnies! Haha I knew they were gonna be a trend but that trend just doesn’t work for me or my style. Some people look good on it, I just didn’t bother wearing it in the first place. It’s one of those “they’re not me” pieces.
The basics.
A man’s watch, a white long-sleeved buttoned down polo and neutral colored  V-neck shirts.
Trend rebirth.
Definitely full on skirts from the late '40s and '50s! I just wanna see it’s modern take! I can just imagine it now, full on skirts paired with tops with low backlines! cute! teeheee
Pop's vintage.
I have a lot of vintage pieces. Not only do I thrift but my mom has the weirdest pieces, which I appreciate a lot. But my favorite piece has to be from my dad. It’s a vintage watch that was passed down to him from my Grandfather then to me! Around 40 - 50 years old or so.

Know other stylish girls? Post their links on the comment box below or post in TeenTalk.

VIEW GALLERY