Noong unang panahon is the opening sequence to almost every story that involves some form of flashback. Ever wonder how alike (or different) boys of different generations are? Read on to find out more.
- Effort. They say that guys of the rough 1950s exerted more effort in courting a girl. Because for simply the chance of talking to the girl they liked, they had to rally their barkada and serenade the girl at her house. To court her, they had to declare genuine intent to her parents. And to be her boyfriend, they had to subject themselves to heavy household chores.
On the other hand, guys may simply talk to girls now, court without approval, and be the boyfriend without lifting a finger. Although the serenade lives on through the one-man-band, and the chores through scoring pogi points from the ‘rents.
- Same time, Same place. Before SMS, plans were set in stone. There were no last minute cancellations, only mutual trust that the other will be there as planned. This method is not foolproof and is still prone to emergencies and traffic. But if it’s any consolation, premiere movie tickets in the 50s only cost 1 peso! That’s only two pesos for a movie date, if you don’t include the dinner and the popcorn!
These days, if either party suddenly can’t make it, they can take a rain check by simply sending a text message.
- The Ideal Girl. Pretty and graceful were mostly the basis for the guys back then, mostly because they couldn’t get to know the girl before courtship. At the same time, they were not allowed to court a girl that does not belong to the same social class.
Now, boys give more importance to factors such as getting along with a girl when they think of their ideal girlfriend.
- Fashion. On a different note, the fashion sense of the guys haven’t changed much throughout the years, the same boys are still sporting boat shoes, canvas sneakers, aviators, and plaid shirts. And perhaps the only noticeable distinctions are that slippers were exclusively used for the home and the inclusion of snapback caps and high-cut sneakers to the male arsenal.
- Fun. In the old days, boys in general were more active. There was no DOTA or Internet, so they admit to sleeping quite a lot. But when they weren’t, they were playing sepak takraw, watching Fernando Poe Sr. and jamming with their friends to the sounds of Elvis Presley, Bob Marley, and Pilita Corales among other well-known celebrities from their age.
What are the differences and similiarities you've noticed in boys of different generations? Sound off in the comments below!