We’re ringing in the new year with batch 14 of the Candy Council of Cool! Have you seen their very first All Access feature in our December-January issue? (Page 78!) As you might have heard, one of the perks of being a COC member is getting to attend super cool events—like Rexona & Rappler’s #DoMoreAwards last week. Here are the deets from Sam Yap and Emee Dy: At the #DoMoreAwards, ordinary Filipinos were nominated for making a difference in their chosen field. Eight heroic individuals were awarded based on a mix of online voting and the judges’ decision. We watched in awe as each of them stepped up to be recognized for doing more.
- The Artist – AG Saño, mural artist and advocate for peace in Mindanao and marine conservation
- The Challenger – Mimi Lucas, SEA Games medalist, triathlete, and Frisbee player
- The Civic Hero – Luis Oquiñena, executive director of Gawad Kalinga
- The Digital Trailblazer – Red Tani, president and founder of Filipino Freethinkers
- The Global Pinoy – Susan Ople, president of the Blas Ople Policy Center, dedicated to helping OFWs
- The Innovator – Rolando Dela Cruz, president and CEO of the Darwin International School System in Bulacan
- The Luminary – Daniel Razon, CEO of UNTV
- The Social Entrepreneur – Mark Ruiz, co-founder and president of Hapinoy
An inspiring speech by Rappler CEO and Executive Editor Maria Ressa
In celebration of their 10th anniversary, Go Nuts Donuts is bringing new treats to town, adding innovative flavors and products to their mouth-watering menu. The Philippines’ first home-grown donut chain originally opened for business on December 11, 2003 in Bonifacio Global City, and has now expanded to different areas in the country.
From yummy spreads and twists to crispy brownie brittles and cro-nuts, this well-loved local donut chain sure is up for a new challenge.
Go Nuts Donuts currently has 27 branches across the country, with the promise of bringing fresh donuts that will live up to its taste. A decade of serving their loyal fans is, indeed, a great feat for a local brand with tough competitors in the market. Come December this year, Go Nuts Donuts will be offering 10 new donut varieties. The flavors you should be looking forward to? S’mores, green tea, chocolate mint, and the rest we leave for you to discover. With a lip-smacking roster of new treats, everyone’s just nuts for more Go Nuts Donuts!
—Andy Flores and Ian Sta. Maria, Candy Council of Cool 14
Last October 10, 2013, our very own local brand Freeway presented its latest collection for its National Artist Collector’s Series at the Lopez Museum. Freeway infused art with fashion to provide an astounding collection showcasing the works of Juan Luna, who is considered as one of the greatest Filipino artists in Philippine history. He is the creator of the acclaimed Spoliarium, which garnered the first gold medal at the 1884 Exposicion Nacional de Bellas Artes in Madrid, the highest honor achieved by an international painter then.
The event was filled with fashion bloggers, art enthusiasts, media and many more. All of the guests were first toured around the museum and a good number of Juan Luna’s works were up for viewing. ANC anchor Lexi Schulze hosted the event as the night kicked off with a presentation of Juan Luna’s life and his works. (You can check out the exhibit at the Lopez Museum until December 20, 2013.)
The highlight of the night though was the exclusive fashion show! Guests were able to examine Freeway’s awe-inspiring Juan Luna Collection, which consisted of casual knit tops, jumpsuits, tailored dresses for ladies, graphic tees, and accessories. Ranging from casual to semi-formal, the collection consists of numerous styles that the modern Filipina will surely love to wear! We personally adored the 1) I am Cold Shoulder Bag, 2) Raglan Sleeves V Neck Dresses with A Roman, 3) I am Cold Necklace, 4) Sleeveless Jumpsuit with Fencing Position, 5) Espana y Filipinas iPhone 5 Case, and 6) Sleeveless Top with Various Subjects, all by Juan Luna.
Through this collection, Freeway aims to commemorate the brilliant treasures handed down to us by Juan Luna. For more details, log on to www.freewayonline.com.ph or visit facebook.com/FreewayOnline. You can also follow them on Twitter and Instagram @FreewayOnline.
—Charlene Chua, Candy Council of Cool 14
Whether we like it or not, our clothes are a part of our lives. We are what we wear. We usually take inspiration from designers and try to figure out how we would actually make these designs wearable, how we would match our fashion dreams with our everyday reality. Oftentimes, it’s the hardest thing to do (Read: Running in heels). How wonderful is it to have a brand that carefully considers how we live our lives, our needs and wants, and who incorporates our lives into their clothes instead of the other way around? For most of us, the Japanese clothing brand Uniqlo is heaven sent.
In the 2013 Fall/Winter season, Uniqlo’s LifeWear line appears in the form of twelve distinct design projects that blend perfectly when worn together. They’ve got projects ranging from clothes made of the coziest materials such as cotton flannel, fleece, silk, and cashmere, to the comfiest casual wear featuring ultra stretch jeans, legging pants, warm easy pants, ultra light down, and heattech. They’ve also got their trademark basics of the perfect denims and shirts, and the not so basic TOPICS! designs.
For those in the Ortigas area, you’ll be glad to know that Uniqlo is set to open their biggest store in SM Megamall this November! The store will occupy three whole floors in Building D, the complex’s newest structure. How awesome is that?
For more information about this global Japanese clothing brand, check out www.uniqlo.com.
Bianca Mascenon, Candy Council of Cool 14
Planning to study abroad after you graduate? You might want to consider a university in Europe as your school of choice. Europe provides a wide array of opportunities for you, allowing you to immerse yourself in a new culture and meet new people. You’ll also be able to see historical places and picturesque views just like in postcards.
As such, the European Union in the Philippines, in collaboration with the EU Cultural Group, EU Cultural Institutes, and the Commission on Higher Education, is opening doors for all of you who want to reach that dream of studying in the beloved continent. You can choose among different schools from different countries like Italy, France, Sweden, Czech Republic, Hungary, and other European countries through the European Higher Education Fair. Not only that, they will also present different scholarships that you can apply for and help you in the process of choosing the best school for you.
According to EU Ambassador Guy Ledoux, the European Higher Education Fair will give Filipino students the opportunity to talk directly with representatives of universities and higher education establishments from across Europe about the wide array of study opportunities available in every subject and discipline.
So what are you waiting for? Join the European Higher Education Fair at the Peninsula Manila, Makati City TODAY, from 10 am to 8 pm. See you there! Visit www.EHEF-Philippines.org for more details. —Florian Sta. Maria, Candy Council of Cool 14
We’re ringing in the new year with batch 14 of the Candy Council of Cool! Have you seen their very first All Access feature in our December-January issue? (Page 78!) As you might...
1. Style Equation: Dress + Sunglasses
- 2. 30 Days of Style: Aimee Wood
- 3. Candy TV: #SelfieReady Pink Eyes
- 4. Candy TV: Scene Stealer
- 5. 6 Ways to Style a Scarf
- 6. Tweak My Style: Prom Fashion Edition
- 7. Style Equation: Bikini + Shorts
- 8. 5 in 5: Dominic Roque
- 9. 5 in 5: Dominic Roque
- 10. Candy TV: Julia Barretto on the Cover
1. 5 Best No-Makeup Makeup Looks
- 2. 5 Things You Missed While You Were In School
- 3. Beauty Blog Stalking: Polished Pinay
- 4. FN Link Love: New Love Team Alert—Julia Barretto and Enrique Gil
- 5. Get the Look: Kathryn Bernardo's Neutral Makeup
- 6. How Cool Is Catching Fire’s OST? Very Cool.
- 7. Blast From The Past: Remembering 12 Of Our Fave Shows
- 8. 5 Stylish Girls This Week
- 9. 5 Worst Things That Can Happen to Your Hair
- 10. Get the Look: Janella Salvador's Silky Straight Hair
1. Get the Look: Julia Montes' Glam Curls
- 2. Get the Look: Kathryn Bernardo's Neutral Makeup
- 3. Twitter Talk: Julia Barretto, Linn Oeymo, Kathryn Bernardo, And More Celebritweets
- 4. Twitter Talk: Kim Chiu, Kathryn Bernardo, Coleen Garcia, And Other Celebritweets This Week
- 5. The Art of Modern-Day Ligaw As Illustrated By Joaquin And Chichay Of Got To Believe
- 6. Twitter Talk: Spooky Celebritweets And More From Lauren Young, Julie Anne San Jose, And More
- 7. Top Tengs: 10 Things You Should Know About The Teng Brothers
- 8. Twitter Talk: Sam Concepcion, Elmo Magalona, Daniel Padilla, And More Celebritweets Rallying Relief Efforts
- 9. 5 Things Not To Do When There's A Supertyphoon Coming
- 10. Twitter Talk: Celebritweets From Julia Barretto, Kathryn Bernardo, Lauren Young, And More
- May 2012 Features | Make Over Your Life
Ayus asyusin ang sarili Read more
Posted on December 08, 2013, 10:26:56 pm
- Guy Feelings 101 | March 2012
Girls are emotionally stronger than boys. They're sensitive to what girls say, especially to the ones they like Read more
Posted on December 08, 2013, 10:25:17 pm
- Relationships | December 2009
Just accept and move on. Mas may magandang bagay ba diyan. Read more
Posted on December 08, 2013, 10:22:36 pm
- Guys: Truth or Consequence? | December 2010
I'd take the risk to do anything, just not everything, especially kung alam kong hindi maganda Read more
Posted on December 08, 2013, 10:21:10 pm
- Boys' Deeds Decoded | January-February 2012
I want to know if their happy or sad Read more
Posted on December 08, 2013, 10:19:18 pm