Games and raffles
If you love any or all of the above, clear your sked on November 30 and check out CinemaJam, the first outdoor movie and music festival in the Philippines, to be held at Event Circuit Makati.
Tickets are available at TicketWorld for P1,350 each, but you get two free tickets for every pair of Crizal Transitions (inquire at a nearby optical center). Proceeds of the event will benefit the children of the World Vision Foundation.
See you there!
Doesn’t the news about the victims of typhoon Yolanda make you feel terribly helpless? But that’s the thing—all of us are the help that they need. It’s incredibly heartwarming to hear about so many people and countries pitching in their resources, whether it be cash, goods, or services. Some restaurants are even donating 100% of their profits on certain days.
If, like me, you don’t have much to donate, you can donate your time at the relief ops in your school or at other centers. For instance, the DSWD National Resource Operations Center in Pasay accepts volunteers 24/7. You just have to call ahead (851-2681, 511-1259) and schedule your shift. Make sure you get permission from your parents first, or better yet, ask your entire family to go with you. Every little bit counts.
For more ways to help, click here.
Birthday buddies from my kuya.
Ta-da! Cute AND functional.
My actual birthday was yesterday, but it feels like I’ve been celebrating for a week! It all started with a three-day trip to Bangkok with my mom last week (pictures to follow next time!). A two-day “recovery period” followed—isn’t the vacation after the vacation just the best? Then came Sunday, my actual birthday, which I spent with my family, eating all my favorite things: Pancake House’s fried chicken and spaghetti, The Cake Club’s baked cheesecake ice cream (a new favorite!), and 4 Fingers’ chicken and fries. We watched Thor: The Dark World, and I got a kick out of seeing Zachary Freaking Levi (Chuck) as Fandral and Chris O’Dowd (Bridesmaids) as the sweet, clueless mortal that Jane Foster’s dating. (My full movie review coming out soon!)
This week’s pretty packed, too: I’m meeting friends I haven’t seen for the longest time and having a double birthday dinner with my grandma (her birthday’s right before mine).
SML, I could cry.
I’d been hearing about this next big thing for the longest time, but it was only last night that I listened to her breakout song, “Royals.” I’ve gotta say, she lives up to all the hype. There’s an effortless coolness in her sharp observations turned lyrics and hip-hop/pop/electronic beats. It’s amazing what this 16-year-old girl next door (real name: Ella Yelich-O’Connor) has whipped up in the suburbs of New Zealand. I can listen to Pure Heroine all day.
And we’ll never be royals (royals)
It don’t run in our blood
That kind of luxe just ain’t for us
We crave a different kind of buzz
I’m kind of over getting told to throw my hands up in the air
I’m kinda older than I was when I reveled without a care
I’ll let you in on something big
I am not a white teeth teen
I tried to join but never did
The way they are, the way they seem is something else, it’s in the blood
Their molars blinking like the lights, in the underpass where we all sit
And do nothing
And love it
—“White Teeth Teens”
Who doesn’t love a feel-good fairy tale? Tomorrow, Broadway musical Cinderella premieres at Resorts World Manila’s Newport Performing Arts Theater, starring singer-songwriters Karylle and Christian Bautista as Cinderella and Prince Charming. Playing their alternates are wonder girl Julia Abueva and Candy Cutie Fred Lo.
Julia—whom you might remember from Oprah’s World’s Smartest and Most Talented Kids—exclusively tells Candy, “I’m so excited for everyone to see our version of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella. It’s an all-Filipino cast and production team, and you know how Pinoys are pretty darn good at what we do.” For tickets to Cinderella, log on to RWM’s website.
Speaking of Prince Charming(s), we actually shot our “Modern Gentlemen” Cuties Special a stone’s throw away from the Newport Performing Arts Theater—at Maxims Hotel’s gorgeous poolside area, to be exact.
As much as we all wanted to dive into the ginormous pool, we settled for having Candy Cuties Axel, Emil, Maqui, and Rammy do an epic jump shot beside it. It was drizzling that day, but they were super pumped up for it. Just check out this fun outtake by photographer Shaira Luna!
Check out more of the Candy Cuties in our September issue plus Julia’s inspiring story in our October issue, both out now!
Photos by Shaira Luna and courtesy of Resorts World Manila.
We’re ringing in the new year with batch 14 of the Candy Council of Cool! Have you seen their very first All Access feature in our December-January issue? (Page 78!) As you might...
1. Style Equation: Dress + Sunglasses
- 2. 30 Days of Style: Aimee Wood
- 3. Candy TV: #SelfieReady Pink Eyes
- 4. Candy TV: Scene Stealer
- 5. 6 Ways to Style a Scarf
- 6. Tweak My Style: Prom Fashion Edition
- 7. Style Equation: Bikini + Shorts
- 8. 5 in 5: Dominic Roque
- 9. 5 in 5: Dominic Roque
- 10. Candy TV: Julia Barretto on the Cover
1. 5 Best No-Makeup Makeup Looks
- 2. 5 Things You Missed While You Were In School
- 3. Beauty Blog Stalking: Polished Pinay
- 4. FN Link Love: New Love Team Alert—Julia Barretto and Enrique Gil
- 5. Get the Look: Kathryn Bernardo's Neutral Makeup
- 6. How Cool Is Catching Fire’s OST? Very Cool.
- 7. Blast From The Past: Remembering 12 Of Our Fave Shows
- 8. 5 Stylish Girls This Week
- 9. 5 Worst Things That Can Happen to Your Hair
- 10. Get the Look: Janella Salvador's Silky Straight Hair
1. Get the Look: Julia Montes' Glam Curls
- 2. Get the Look: Kathryn Bernardo's Neutral Makeup
- 3. Twitter Talk: Julia Barretto, Linn Oeymo, Kathryn Bernardo, And More Celebritweets
- 4. Twitter Talk: Kim Chiu, Kathryn Bernardo, Coleen Garcia, And Other Celebritweets This Week
- 5. The Art of Modern-Day Ligaw As Illustrated By Joaquin And Chichay Of Got To Believe
- 6. Twitter Talk: Spooky Celebritweets And More From Lauren Young, Julie Anne San Jose, And More
- 7. Top Tengs: 10 Things You Should Know About The Teng Brothers
- 8. Twitter Talk: Sam Concepcion, Elmo Magalona, Daniel Padilla, And More Celebritweets Rallying Relief Efforts
- 9. 5 Things Not To Do When There's A Supertyphoon Coming
- 10. Twitter Talk: Celebritweets From Julia Barretto, Kathryn Bernardo, Lauren Young, And More
- May 2012 Features | Make Over Your Life
Ayus asyusin ang sarili Read more
Posted on December 08, 2013, 10:26:56 pm
- Guy Feelings 101 | March 2012
Girls are emotionally stronger than boys. They're sensitive to what girls say, especially to the ones they like Read more
Posted on December 08, 2013, 10:25:17 pm
- Relationships | December 2009
Just accept and move on. Mas may magandang bagay ba diyan. Read more
Posted on December 08, 2013, 10:22:36 pm
- Guys: Truth or Consequence? | December 2010
I'd take the risk to do anything, just not everything, especially kung alam kong hindi maganda Read more
Posted on December 08, 2013, 10:21:10 pm
- Boys' Deeds Decoded | January-February 2012
I want to know if their happy or sad Read more
Posted on December 08, 2013, 10:19:18 pm