I’m no hardcore athlete (volleyball classes in high school were the worrrst, and don’t even get me started on that one time I attempted basketball…), and I’m certainly no fitness expert. But lately I’ve been coming to terms with the importance of staying healthy—if the consequences of all my teenaged junk food binges and strict instant ramen diets were to catch up with me, I’d rather they do it later than sooner. So I’ve been making better choices: sleeping earlier, learning to say no to that big bag of barbecue potato chips, eating more vegetables and good grains, cutting down on coffee and alcohol, and finally getting some exercise. And it’s such a cliche but it has made such a huge difference; these days I feel happier, more creative, more alert, more energized, and better equipped to fully reap life’s little rewards.
I know trying to jumpstart a healthy lifestyle when you’ve been a couch potato and/or fast food junkie since you were in pigtails can be a bit daunting, so here are three easy ideas that won’t scare you silly. They’ve worked for me, the laziest, most physically unmotivated girl in the world, which means they’ll probably work for you, too.
1. Find running shoes you love.
I make sure I do treadmill time at least once a week—a quick 30-minute jog already makes me work up a good sweat, and sometimes the Candy Girls and I bond over a run after work. New habits are hard to form, though, and the temptation to just lie in bed all morning or dive into my Smash episodes before crashing into bed remains strong. But every time I see my adorable black and pink shoes (they’re Skechers GOrun2, and seriously light and comfy!), a workout doesn’t seem like such an enormous sacrifice—just an excuse to wear cute kicks.
2. Have a go-to healthy snack.
A midnight cheeseburger and hot fudge sundae will always seem like a good idea…until it isn’t. I always get hungry when I’m writing late at night, so recently I’ve been keeping fruits and healthy sweets in my fridge. This particular snack is my favorite, and super easy to boot: just slice an apple, spread peanut butter, and top with granola (I like Quaker Oats’ Natural Fruit Mix). You can eat this for breakfast, too.
3. Update your workout playlist regularly.
I always make an effort to approach working out not as a chore, but as a happy, Me Time activity. Great music definitely helps; think of your favorite workout songs as your constant exercise buddies. “Midnight City” and “American Blood” are mainstays, and these days I’m obsessed with this heart- and spirit-pumper by Sleigh Bells. I always feel like it’s cheering me on somehow!
How do YOU keep fit? :-)
Leave a Reply
We’re ringing in the new year with batch 14 of the Candy Council of Cool! Have you seen their very first All Access feature in our December-January issue? (Page 78!) As you might...
1. Style Equation: Dress + Sunglasses
- 2. 30 Days of Style: Aimee Wood
- 3. Candy TV: #SelfieReady Pink Eyes
- 4. Candy TV: Scene Stealer
- 5. 6 Ways to Style a Scarf
- 6. Style Equation: Bikini + Shorts
- 7. 5 in 5: Dominic Roque
- 8. 5 in 5: Dominic Roque
- 9. Candy TV: Julia Barretto on the Cover
- 10. Behind the Scenes: The Only Place
1. 5 Best No-Makeup Makeup Looks
- 2. 5 Things You Missed While You Were In School
- 3. Beauty Blog Stalking: Polished Pinay
- 4. FN Link Love: New Love Team Alert—Julia Barretto and Enrique Gil
- 5. Get the Look: Kathryn Bernardo's Neutral Makeup
- 6. How Cool Is Catching Fire’s OST? Very Cool.
- 7. Blast From The Past: Remembering 12 Of Our Fave Shows
- 8. 5 Stylish Girls This Week
- 9. 5 Worst Things That Can Happen to Your Hair
- 10. Get the Look: Janella Salvador's Silky Straight Hair
1. Get the Look: Julia Montes' Glam Curls
- 2. Get the Look: Kathryn Bernardo's Neutral Makeup
- 3. Twitter Talk: Julia Barretto, Linn Oeymo, Kathryn Bernardo, And More Celebritweets
- 4. Twitter Talk: Kim Chiu, Kathryn Bernardo, Coleen Garcia, And Other Celebritweets This Week
- 5. The Art of Modern-Day Ligaw As Illustrated By Joaquin And Chichay Of Got To Believe
- 6. Twitter Talk: Spooky Celebritweets And More From Lauren Young, Julie Anne San Jose, And More
- 7. Top Tengs: 10 Things You Should Know About The Teng Brothers
- 8. Twitter Talk: Sam Concepcion, Elmo Magalona, Daniel Padilla, And More Celebritweets Rallying Relief Efforts
- 9. 5 Things Not To Do When There's A Supertyphoon Coming
- 10. Twitter Talk: Celebritweets From Julia Barretto, Kathryn Bernardo, Lauren Young, And More
- NBSB(no boyfriend since birth)
I don't think there is nothing wrong with having no boyfriends yet. Ibig sabihin lang niyan ay careful ka or hindi ka talaga pay... Read more
Posted on December 07, 2013, 09:49:53 pm
- nkakaiyak na bookü
Hunger Games trilogy. crap. i keep crying when collins kills off the helpless people i.e. Mags, boggs, etc... Read more
Posted on December 07, 2013, 09:47:42 pm
- What Book Are You Currently Reading - v.3
Quote from: myweenie on December 01, 2013, 12:57:36 amTitle: The SummerhouseAuthor: Jude DeverauxStart: Nov. 23, 2013End: Nov. 2... Read more
Posted on December 07, 2013, 09:45:28 pm
- My Sweet Revenge Turn Into A Sweet Disaster
My Sweet Revenge Turn Into A Sweet Disaster.+*'[PRO LOGUE]'*+." I want to break up with you.."At bago pa man ako makapad react..Di... Read more
Posted on December 07, 2013, 06:13:32 pm
- A Kiss Since Forgotten
--xx [ Introduction ] xx--"Teka malapit na akong matapos... and TADA!" masayang akong nginitian ng pinsan kong si Krystal matap... Read more
Posted on December 07, 2013, 05:49:53 pm