You know what's more stressful than breaking up? Actually dealing with the breakup and The Ex, especially if you both belong in the same circle. Even New Girl's Jess (Zooey Deschanel) is facing this problem on the show's upcoming season when she breaks up with Nick (Jack Johnson)!
Looks like one of our favorite girls is in need of help, so we're here to do just that. And in case you need these tips yourself, we're listing them down for you, too.
1. Listen to songs that allow you to feel more. If you want to be sad for a little while, go listen to your fave sad tunes and let your tears flow. But if you decide in your heart that you're finally ready to move on and be your happy self again, make a playlist to beat those blues away. Remember that the things you listen to will affect your disposition.
2. Try to be cool with it. It will be difficult at first, but try and remind yourself that you're not together anymore every day—so you better choose to just be cool with it. Someday—one day—the choice will be something you'll do unconsciously and without realizing, you'll finally be fine with the two of you going your separate ways.
3. Talk about the breakup, but not about him. The pain and the heartbreak will kind of mess with your tongue. You won't realize it but you'll be talking about The Ex in such a horrible way. While most of the things you say may be true, remember to give him a little respect. Aside from saving your common friends the hassle of taking sides, you'll also save you and The Ex a post-breakup fight that will just make things worse.
4. Smile at him. When you see The Ex for the first time after the breakup, smile at him. It won't be easy, but do it anyway. We're pretty sure he's having a difficult time, too. Maybe you smiling at each other will make moving on a little bit easier for the two of you.
5. Make light of the situation. Yes, it will be awkward at first because there's so much history between the two of you. Making fun of what has and hasn't happened in your relationship will lead you to slowly being okay with each other as friends.
Need more pointers on dealing with The Ex? Tune in to New Girl Season 4 which will start airing this September.
How do you deal with exes, Candy Girls? Share your thoughts in the comments or tweet us @candymagdotcom. We always love hearing from you. :)