1. Quit looking at the world through a lens 24/7. Pics or it didn't happen? You know it happened and you don't need to prove it to anyone. Sure you want to capture the moment, but don'’t let that stop you from living in it. Much better souvenir, I tell you.
2. Sign out of dreamland and log on to real life. All the app updates in the world have nothing on beautiful, fleeting human interaction.
3. Learn how to bake. Or befriend someone who knows how. Because you never know when you'll need a cake so good, it'll be the way to a warlord's heart and homeland.
4. The choice is yours. The movie is all about the credo, "To see the world, things dangerous to come to. To see behind walls, to draw closer, to find each other and to feel. That is the purpose of life." It's a good, solid quote to live by, but the purpose of life is what you make it to be.
5. Take a leap of faith. Sometimes you end up whacking sharks with a briefcase in the ocean, sometimes you find yourself cross-country biking just before a volcano eruption. The fun is in not knowing what'll happen.
6. Don't dream it's over. Sometimes bucket lists can do more harm than good. When we list down what we want to do, we feel like we've already done something to achieve them, so we tend to put them on the back burner. Acknowledging our dreams is step one, but there are more steps ahead of us. Want to go to the UK and stalk all your British celeb crushes when you graduate? Start looking for good deals, recruiting friends to come along, and practicing your please-let-me-go pitch to your parents. The adventure starts before you step out of the house.
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty opens on January 22.